Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

My97 wrx engines

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2003, 06:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello i have a few questions, i recently bought a nice my97 wrx
now im running it on optimax and no octane booster, as far as im aware it has no engine mods, is this safe? to be honest i doubt that im gonna shell out for octane booster week in week out as it only bumps the price of the fuel bill up even more, not to mention the fact that i dont have anybody local that sells the stuff, i was planning on useing octane booster for any drag strip duties or anytime i get around to sticking it on the rollers

are they safe to run on just optimax? it gets a boot full (like all scoobys do) but its not ragged to death and im not dumb, i check the fluids all the time and i used to change the oil in my vectra every 3k miles

so are they safe on optimax only? or am i likely to blow it up? what about on SUL?

im aware that the ecu compensates for the lower octane by retarding the ignition a touch but how effective is this

it has 58 000 miles on it now and is booked in for a £400 service at revolution in gateshead for next weekend

opinions, what do u wrx owners run your cars on?
Old 09 March 2003, 05:29 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
I've just had my 95WRX 50K serviced at Revolution (Recommended by scoobynetters) for the same price inc cambelt replacement. Make sure you replace the coolant which is an extra £35 but as i already have an HKS induction kit, i didnt need the filter replacing so it was £400 inc coolant. Top service. The mechanic Glen really knows his work.
As for optimax and SUL it is safe to use without octane boosters, but i always use Millers octane booster with Optimax or SUL when optimax is not available.
Old 10 March 2003, 02:49 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it wasnt white was it??
saw a white wrx get pulled in on saturday when i went up for an owners manuel