Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PPP or Ecutek on MY01 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2003, 08:00 PM
superscoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lads

This is my first post on scoobynet, commitee member of ISDC (irish Subaru Drivers Club).

I have a MY01 wrx with a ppp fitted about 8,000 miles ago (car has 20k on it now). All this talk about ECUTEK has me itchy. Should i dump the ppp and go ecutek with full exhaust including up and down pipes or should i keep pp chip and go full exhaust. What kind of power should i expect from each set up?

PS my mate just went ecutek and full exhaust system at power engineering and the car is unbelievable now puuting out 293bhp.

Andrew
Old 24 February 2003, 11:15 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Your first question has to be "Do you want to keep your warranty?"
Plus do you wanna shell out more cash on your motor seein as you already have PPP??

Nick

P.S: ISDC doesn't quite have the same ring to it as SIDC does it? lol

[Edited by NickAdams - 2/24/2003 11:17:49 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 08:11 AM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Personal experience up a 1 in 7 slope in 3 rd gear (private land)

PPP: 80 run out of grunt C5,600 rpm

ECUTEK: 94 ran out of road pulling hard till c7,000 rpm

Overall I rate the ecutek as an incredible bit of kit, and for the 1st year the ppp was great (now sold and someone else enjoying it)
Old 25 February 2003, 05:07 PM
superscoob
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys

I might just go ahead and decat with full system with the ppp for the mo and get ecutek when the warranty runs out.

BTW Ferarrinutter how much is a ppp chip worth secondhand?

Andrew

Old 25 February 2003, 05:21 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Sold it for £400 though realistically between £600 & £800......I was desperate to get the ecutek having driven Pete's car and it was to hell with the waiting.

I had 3 people after it.....
Old 25 February 2003, 05:40 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Don't think the dealers can tell you've got the Ecutek, even if they plug in their diagnostic kit. If you go in for a warranty claim for rattley windows or something they are not going to check your boost levels just incase you have had a remap which they can't officially prove anyway. Secondly you will be saving £500 anyway with ECUteck so that can be tucked away to pay for anything they won't do under warranty. Enjoy the car now, you probably won't need to make a claim anyway.
The downside IMHO is resale value - PPP adds £1000, but most punters won't touch an unofficialy modified car and so those that are interested will want it for about £1000 less IMHO.

Also I've heard a few people on here not happy with Ecutek - one guy's wore off after a while!! Everyone seems thrilled when they get PPP - that kinda influences me a bit.

[Edited by Scoobydick - 2/25/2003 5:43:13 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 06:35 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

It wore off after a while - did he rub it too hard!!!! Oh, and the dealer won't know you've got it fitted without plugging in his computer? I think he will when he drives it, even from the car park to the workshop. The car is a seriously different animal after the remap, and absolutely fantastic. Amazing improvement.

LoFi

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2003, 08:54 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Also I've heard a few people on here not happy with Ecutek - one guy's wore off after a while!!
I've not come across anyone who has not been delighted with this mod, do you have a link to the posts/people you are referring to?

The remap is as permanent as the original factory map and cannot ever "wear off". Subaru/Denso would use a very similar process to programme the ECUs at the factory.
Old 26 February 2003, 11:25 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Maybe one of the sensors died in the time since Ecutek was done.

That does change things somewhat; mine certainly didn't feel as good when the MAF and lambda where messed up, so he should have got it checked out. And before anyone asks, they were duff before I got it done (thx Pete, btw).

Yes, I don't 'notice' so much of a shove in the back afterwards under hard acceleration but the speedo is doing a very good job of lying
Old 26 February 2003, 11:29 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Sorry my post sounded a bit stoopid - not that well phrased! Just was searching a few posts the other night and noticed a a number of people for one reason or another being less happy eith their ecu than they were originally, whereas nearly all PPP'ers were delighted.
Here are some egs, there are probably be a few more too...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=118354&Page=1
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=108666
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=122171&Page=1
Old 26 February 2003, 11:36 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Another quote from an owner who had problems with the first Tek 2 he had

"No problem m8, yes i did pay the £500 plus vat, and this is the second one i have had from PE, and it is definately better than the 1st one."

How can one be better than another?? I never heard of a Prodrive Ecu going back because it was not performing properly
Old 26 February 2003, 12:01 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

If warranty is not an issue to you then Ecutek without a doubt.If it is then you have to make a sensible choice.
Old 26 February 2003, 12:06 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Scoobydick

These posts are all around 8 months old. This was the very early days of the Tek2 and I think you will find that things have come on a lot since then.

At the time, a fair amount of the ecu remained a mystery although the main maps were decoded. The latest Tek2 maps overcame these problems are very good indeed. For some time now, all of the issues raised in these old threads have been dealt with and people with early versions were upgraded to the latest maps.

You cannot really say "why doesn't the PPP suffer from such problems?" as the PPP is a mild modification and takes the car from 220bhp to around 245bhp. A Tek2 with a full exhaust takes it from 220bhp to around 275bhp, or 120% more power gain than that provided by the PPP. As the PPP did not change any base maps, any hesitation that existed beforehand would still exist. The main cause of this hesitation was sub optimal timing in the factory maps and, following a lot of R&D, the latest Tek2 maps correct these issues.

The PPP has always worked well at what it sets out to achieve, but Ecutek mapping can now achieve a lot more with at least as much success. That's why Prodrive are also now using it to create their latest version of the PPP.
Old 26 February 2003, 12:24 PM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Pete,

What's the likelyhood of Prodrive offering a relatively low cost option for those of us with the MY01 PPP to upgrade ?

Regards,

Ian
Old 26 February 2003, 12:44 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian

I think that's something that only Prodrive can answer.
Old 26 February 2003, 01:06 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Oh ***** - I change my mind everytime I try to think about this Am looking at Tek2/backbox/filter vs PPP. I don't want a full decat exhaust
Old 26 February 2003, 04:52 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Scoobydick

It'll cost around £1100 and will give approx 265bhp with some very usable torque (+25lb at 3000rpm, +40lb at 6500 rpm).

Old 26 February 2003, 05:52 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I have heard several people mention that Prodrive are/will be using Ecutek for the PPP. Does anyone know if this is the case?? Do we have anymore details??

Stu..
Old 27 February 2003, 09:30 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Yes, Prodrive are now using this system of mapping the ecu in the PPP.

Scoobydick, I should point out that the graph and figures above were done in the early days of Ecutek being available for the 01-02 model and whilst we have moved things on a bit since then, I don't have any figures for the latest maps.

Now if you did want a full decat...
Old 10 March 2003, 06:21 PM
superscoob
Scooby Newbie

Hi folks

Got a Scoobysport downpipe and centre section full decat plus an sti trumpet and K&N cone fitted last week.
I left on the prodrive backbox from the ppp and havent noticed any significant increase in noise apart from a dull boom between 3750 and 4250 rpms.
The car feels a good bit quicker, however, there seems to be more lag up to about 3750 rpms with the main power delivered between 4750 rpms and all the way to the red line. I am revving the car harding but she is flying now.

Do you know is the anyway that i can move that power band back down the rev range a bit?

Superscoob