Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Redline Water Wetter -- worthwhile or not?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2003, 03:15 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone use it? It's claimed to help heat dissipation and lower overall running temps by a few degrees. Any experiences?
Old 19 February 2003, 04:06 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Question

Just seen this in the demon tweeks catalogue and thought the same thing. Anyone used it?
Old 19 February 2003, 06:23 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've used it for about 2 years and it has reduced the average coolant temp - I would question the faster warm-up though.

If you read the blurb, it is apparently worth nearly 2 RON (in detonation suppression from better cooling) - Mmmm...

On my car (94 WRX Auto), it reduced the "angle of the needle" of the coolant gauge by about 15 degrees - hard to be more precise due to the lack of numbers...

For additional security it can't hurt!

I stuck it in the chargecooler circuit as well to see if it makes any difference but I think the coolant temp stays too low for the full effect.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 19 February 2003, 07:20 PM
blitz imp reza
Scooby Regular

Question

What does water wetter do? It provides better heat trasfer than the glycol based coolants typically used, so it will help your motor run cooler. Its also less viscous when compared to coolant/antifreeze it is more like water, so your water pump will need a few less horse power to pump a water wetter based solution compared to one with glycol in it. It also contains corrosion inhibitors. As an added benefit it is not as slippery as glycol so if you spill it or have a blown pipe on the track etc its easier to clean up. If your racing or you drive your car in warm weather all year long, you could replace your water & glcol coolant radiator cocktail with a mix of water and water wetter. But water wetter does not change waters freezing point, you should still use antifreeze if your car is used in the winter.
Old 20 February 2003, 12:19 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I stuck it in the chargecooler circuit as well to see if it makes any difference but I think the coolant temp stays too low for the full effect.
But the Impreza doesn't have a charge cooler?

15degrees on the gauge?? the gauge is deliberately unaccurate so that it points in the same place unless very cold or very hot.. a number of degrees either way make no difference on the needle.. so you saying it made a fair amount of difference if the needle now sits 15degrees lower etc..

I thought Water Wetter was a new product too.. so how do you explain using it for two years?

JGM
Old 20 February 2003, 12:23 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not new.. and gavin has a legacy charge cooler on his impreza.
Old 20 February 2003, 12:39 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I was typing that thinking "Unless of course he has fitted one himself" doh...

I thought it was new? double doh then..

Charge cooler!!!!! details please!!!

JGM

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2003, 08:28 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Question

Weeter water is not a new product, people have being using for at least the last 2/3 years in their charge cooler / water injection systems.
Old 20 February 2003, 04:43 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

you shouldn't see a difference on the temp gauge as the thermostat controls where that sits, think its around 86 deg on the scoob!
Old 20 February 2003, 06:49 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Been running Redline Water Wetter in my race car for at least three seasons now, probably four. Good for that in that there is no thermostat and poor air flow. Keeps the temperature in check without needing to keep the fan running all the time (no charging system).

I've also heard of people running it when towing as it helps to keep the motor cooler for longer.

Certainly can see that it would help dissipate the heat through the engine more efficiently. Would have throught it was a worthwhile investment.
Old 21 February 2003, 12:34 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

As Jonny says, the thermostat controls the temp, so really there should be no visible difference on the guage. The stat on a subaru is stamped 78 degC.
Perhaps if teh claims are true, then it may help in a chargecooler situation, but I have my doubts. Any info I have ever come across, always says pure water is the best coolant.
As Subaru cooling systems dont seem to have any trouble anyway, I cant see how such a product would offer any benefits.
Old 21 February 2003, 10:05 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You're right that the thermostat will control the running temperature so what it will mean is that when the thermostat is fully open (flowing coolant at its maximum rate) you then would normally relay on airflow and the radiator/fans to keep the engine within operating temerature range - otherwise it would get hotter and hotter until things melt and sieze up.

The addition of water wetter would mean it will warm up slower once you get to the maximum opening on the thermostat. So when driving the car hard and the thermostat can offer no more the water wetter will control the rate of temperature increase. Would also mean in traffic that the fan(s) would come on less etc.