STi 7 Engine Oil Capacity--Be Careful

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2003, 08:06 PM
Les555STi7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Scooby-Drivers
1) The Manual states that the STi 7 has an Engine Oil Capacity of 4.5 Litres. It does not say with or without a filter change. It does not state the volume of oil between the Min hole and the Max hole on the dipstick.
2) After draining the sump, and still with the drain plug out, slackening the Oil Filter released the depression holding in the pump housing internal's residual oil and more oil drained from the sump. As you would expect.
3) Obviously the vertically mounted oil filter was still full of oil.
4) The egine was refilled with an initial 4 Litres and run at idle for 20 minutes and then left to drain overnight with the dipstick out, after having "dipped & wiped" a couple of times to facilitate oil drainage down the tight fitting dipstick tube.
5) Assuming that Mobil MotorSport 15W50 4 Litres is actually 4 Litres then 4 Litres of oil following an oil and filter change came to below the Minimum hole on the dipstick.
6) The specified remaining 0.5 Litre was then added, the engine was run for 20 minutes at idle. The "dip & wipe" routine was done and the engine left to drain.
7) With a total of 4.5 Litres after an oil and filter change the oil was not close to the Maximum hole on the dipstick. 100 ml of oil was added.
8) Every day after that the car was parked following the drive home from work. The "dip & wipe" routine was done and 100 ml of oil was added.
9) A total of 5.1 Litres was necessary to take the dipped level to the centre of the Maximum hole on the dipstick. Categorically 5.1 Litres.

Manual Knows A Nothing!
Old 14 February 2003, 08:29 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

And also bear in mind that filling an Impreza to the full mark *can* cause contamination of the boost pipework, causing sometimes overboosting and or strange running.

I don't know if they ever sold this problem (though I hope so because I've got a 7 too!!)

Matt
Old 15 February 2003, 11:02 AM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

Ive also been lead to believe that you dont run the cars on Max fill hole level on the stick.

It also bemuses me as to why you let the car tick over for 20mins before dipping it,surely thats a bit over the top.
Old 16 February 2003, 07:23 PM
Les555STi7
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for your responses mutant_matt and yoza.

I had an Impreza Turbo 2000 Wagon for 2 Years before my STi 7 and the manual was also as clear as mud. I had no proplems whatsoever in filling to the upper level.

I had a Daimler 4.2 Vanden Plas for 15 years befor my first Scooby and its manual clearly stated exact volumes of oil on a change of oil only and on an oil & filter change and the volume from lower to upper level.

The purpose of initiating this thread was to inform people of the results of a conscious decision on my part to carry out an ACCURATE EXCERCISE on engine oil capacity of the STi 7 because a) I was doing an interim oil & filter change anyway and b)the ambiguous instructions in the Owners Manual which we should all be following if we wish to comply with warranty requirements. I say ambigous because after filling with 4.5 Litres the advise is to add more oil but how much more is not specified, hence my excercise.

1) The Owner's Manual states in the "Checking the oil level" section "....add oil to bring it up to the upper level". It points out "....do not add any additional oil above the upper level when the engine is cold.

2) The Owner's Manual states in the "Changing the oil and filter" section "Pour the specified amount of engine oil through the fill er neck", the specified amount is mentioned as 4.5 Litres. It then advises to run the engine to operating temperature....."and add more engine oil".

Although the volume of oil is not specified the instructions are perfectly clear and concise.

If advice or rumours exist to the effect that the STi 7 should not be run with engine oil at the upper level then these rumours should either be confirmed by supporting evidence or discarded as non factual since they do at the moment directly conflict with the manual.

As is common knowledge oil plays a joint role with the cooling system in heat dissipation.

Yoza, the reason why I ran the engine for 20 minutes was to ensure that the oil was hot enough to drain back fully because a) I wanted an accurate result and b) as many threads here point out the oil temperature lags behind the indicated engine temperature for a while.

Happy Driving

Les