Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Octane Booster, what if.......................?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 04:13 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A quick one,

I currently use optimax and millers on my MY00 UK car. The reason i use it is that to me the car feels smoother, not faster. Usually i wait until just before the fuel low light comes on and then fill up. Before i fill up i stick a bottle of millers in and then fill the tank to the top.
The other day, I was heading out of Nottingham and had a half a tank. I thought that i'd better fill as i didn't know when i'd be near the Optimax again. I opened up the boot and was about to stick another millers in when i thought " hang on, if i put a full millers in to a tank that already has half a bottle in it and top up, then would the millers concentration be too much?"
Like having a glass of Jack Daniels and coke, drinking half and then putting the same amount of Jack Daniels in again and filling back to the top with coke and so on, eventually, you would have a glass full of Jack Daniels with no room for Coke.
Ultimatley i suppose what what i'm asking is what would happen if you ran a car on pure millers/octane booster (I don't suppose for a moment that it is possible) but what would be happening under the bonnet if the octane booster/fuel mix got a bit out of kilter?
Owt or nowt?
Car is fine by the way

Mikey

[Edited by Gridlock Mikey - 2/13/2003 4:15:47 PM]
Old 13 February 2003, 05:31 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

don't worry about it mate - I run my car on 1 tank of optimax and 1/2 bottle of NF booster which is way over the normal dose - goes well.

Couldn't find shell garage last week and used Esso super unleaded and same amount of NF and it was a bit "farty"
Old 14 February 2003, 06:40 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

With the volumes you're talking about there is not much risk of anything happening. A tank full on the other hand could be interesting - it's no doubt missing a few vital ingredients that your engine needs from normal fuel.
Old 14 February 2003, 03:45 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Suprised no one has mentioned any likely effects on ignition, timing etc. I take it that means that it wouldn't affect any of that stuff then, or it probably would but it's to technical to put into words. Maybe!

Mikey