Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Starting probs... due to Unichip ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2003, 09:04 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Has anyone noticed any problems when starting a car running Unichip? I can't say that the problems on my car started exactly after the Unichip was installed, but a friend of mine definitely noticed this. When turning the key, it sorta "dies" for a few tens of a second (not every time it's started though), and then it goes on again... a bit hard to explain, but it seems it's "kicking back" when starting!?

Any ideas what I'm talking about? IIRC the Unichip shouldn't interfere with the coldstart mixtures and timing at all...
Old 11 February 2003, 09:12 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Yes !

I had exactly the same problem for 2 years, but never actually thought it was related to the Unichip, until the Unichip had to make way. When it was then removed for Ecutek, the problem went away, never had it since.

Not sure what to do about it, certainly not all Unichip cars have it, but I'm 100 % sure that it is related to the Unichip.

It feels like the starter motor "dies out" for a second or 2, high pitched noise, then it starts normally.

This would happen about 1 starts out of 3.

FWIW, I don't know what the solution is.
Old 11 February 2003, 09:19 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

EvilBevel, tnx for your prompt reply, I guess it's pretty certain then that it really is related to the Unichip...

Have to give the engine tuner a call and check if he has any ideas how to solve the problem.
Old 11 February 2003, 09:28 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I wonder if it's not an earthing/electrical problem.

You could always try to run an extra earthing cable from the ECU/Unichip to the battery, doesn't cost much.
Old 11 February 2003, 09:46 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Yes, well my voltmeter goes "wild" when this happens... might very well be worth while trying.
Old 11 February 2003, 11:58 AM
EMS
Scooby Regular

I think you can´t avoid it with the Unichip. It is caused by a faulty ignition timing (far too much advance), perhaps this is caused by the voltage is too low for the Unichip to work properly while crancking. (I never checked, because the car will start anyway)

Mark.
Old 11 February 2003, 02:26 PM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Hmm... actually I never had this problem just after I recharged my battery, but winter time the battery doesn't manage to keep up with the stress (at least on my car). All the time the fan is working, and the rear-windfow heater and so on.
Actually I can't remember that I would have had this starting problem during summer time either!
Old 15 February 2003, 11:02 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

I got this reply from Pieter at Dastek when I asked what could be causing the problem:

Dear Miki,
Thank you for your feedback.
We are aware of a cold start problem on the MY01 onwards but I aven't heard of a problem on the older Subarus.
Does this problem occur in summer and winter? Is it better, correct or the same in summer?
Please let me know and I will see what we can figure out. Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference to the cold start ignition timing at all.
Best regards,
Pieter
I explained him what I've said here, that I didn't notice any problem during the summer, here's what he replied to that:

Hi Miki,
Thanks for coming back to me. We don't have winters like you guys here. (I have never even seen snow in our country in my life!) Could you maybe connect the brown unichip wire directly to the battery ground and also connect the red unichip wire directly to the battery plus. (You can try one at a time) Let me know what happens. If I have this data we can hopefully sort out your problem.
Best regards,
Pieter
Have to give it a try while it's still colder weather up here... so as soon as I find the time to do it I'll let you know if it helps.
Old 20 November 2003, 08:35 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Let's wake up this old thread...

It's getting colder again and the problem has returned, I did the wiring mods Pieter at Dastek suggested (+ and - wires connected to the chip directly from the battery), but it didn't help. My next test is to wait for a cold day and remove the unichip and take it inside the house to keep it warm, then test if the problem still persists...