Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust too noisy now.

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 02:45 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been done many times but..........
I have SS DP + TSL Ctr + SS BB on MY00 classic.
Been on for 1yr but it is really too loud. I believe the increase pull from 5000 rpm to 6750 rpm is mostly from the DP and that the BB is the main cause of the constant Thrum/Boom on M-ways and under acceleration around town below 3500 rpm.
I don't mind a minor drop in performance although I don't think the car would suffer much from the BB being changed if the rest of the exhaust is cat-free.
I honestly don't mind if it's much quieter now. It is beginning to be a drag. Is the Scorpion BB the best bet as from what I can gleen from the BBS it is the same as the Prodrive 'PPP' BB.
Thanks for any help.
Especially those who have already changed over from the current set-up I have for the very same reason.
Old 07 February 2003, 05:19 PM
fubar
Scooby Regular

I swapped from my complete scoobysport system to one with a remus backbox. not that well known - but much quieter, and look ok.
Old 07 February 2003, 06:21 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.
Seems like Scorpion/Prodrive/Prodrive WR or Remus then.
Old 07 February 2003, 07:47 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

VATE I do not know you but you must be getting to old!! Ragnarock you need to get yourself to TSL and get the Firestorm on there if you want LOUD!!!
Old 07 February 2003, 09:05 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Would love to get myself to TSL (I have their downpipe and it is fantakka) but unfortunately I do not have the readies for a new exhaust yet!
Old 07 February 2003, 09:36 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
had my mot recently and put the standard catted downpipe on my previous full hks system, i actually don't have a headache now, it gets rid of that nasty pounding in your head at 3,00rpm, but it's flat as a fart below 3,00rpm, thats why i'll be putting an open neck downpipe on soon
Old 10 February 2003, 08:44 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

tiny01 you are obviously a whipper snapper yourself as basic English seems beyond tour grasp. I'm afraid I do not know where 'old' is but if you meant 'too old' then I can assure you I am not. The art of modding the Scoob for me involves subtle additions to enhance the performance of the car. If I was an old fart I'd just remove the de-cat system and replace the whole lot but I want the extra grunt low down the rev range and the additional 1500 revs of useful engine speed that the downpipe afford me. To be honest I don't really want the labelof local noisy w****r either. I'll leave that accolade to the neighbourhood Saxo club thanks!
Old 10 February 2003, 08:49 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Straight through centres sections tend to be louder.

Also, H&S do a quieter version of their backbox, which seems to work.

Paul
Old 10 February 2003, 01:21 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Vate,

Try putting a sandard centre section in.

I have Scoobysport DP and BB (new Janspeed ones) with standard centre. This makes things quieter and I don't think you gain much power by swapping for a straight through centre.

It gives a good soundtrack, but is not intrusive. Maybe a bit load on motorways but so is the wind noise/ road noise. If you want quiet at 90+, buy a Maybach!
Old 10 February 2003, 07:21 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

From my (limited) noise testing, I reckon a resonated centre section can make 2-3dB difference. The backbox is IMHO by far the biggest contributor to total volume.

For example, a Blitz system with OEM up and downpipe is 11dB louder than a prodrive bbox with full decat and unresonated centre (all on a new WRX).

Sound deadening can make a few dB difference, but if you truly want peace and quiet, there is no substitute for not letting the noise out of the exhaust to start with.

Another thing that will reduce the drone a bit AND give you a performance improvement is to get your headers ported or even fit new ones (that is more pricey). Do a search on headers/manifold if you want to find out more.
Old 10 February 2003, 07:40 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my (limited) noise testing, I reckon a resonated centre section can make 2-3dB difference. The backbox is IMHO by far the biggest contributor to total volume.
All adds up.

It's only recently that H&S have been more actively promoting their quieter back box options. Maybe scoobysport thought we were all Max Power boy racers and didn't want loud exhausts?

My setup is:

H&S downpipe
H&S quiet backbox
Std centre
Dynamat in boot floor.

The Dynamat made a big difference, but at the same time I realise 2 of the bungs in the boot floow were out. But now 70mph is plenty quiet, the kids can sleep, I can do a 2 hour drive and not have a headache.

Pat Herbourn has also specced an exhaust, made by H&S which as big a silencer as cen be fitted in the space. It's a 3-3.5 inch bore, and quiter than most systems.

Cost is another factor of course, so try the std centre and see if it just takes the edge off the noise. The magnex resonated centre is reputedly quieter than the std one, despite not having any obstructions in the gas path.

paul
Old 14 February 2003, 03:22 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the valuable comments/help.
Old 14 February 2003, 03:28 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a bpm td-38 downpipe for sale.

It is a catless downpipe which replaces the standard
downpipe. Has a 3" bore, twin dump design, and is hpc coated mild steel.

It will be much quieter (about 8db) lower than your existing downpipe once fitted.

Old 14 February 2003, 03:49 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Pat _Herborn_'s system is very good. Very low restriction coupled with very civilised levels of noise.

I used to run a magnex resonator centre and scoobysport backbox on a PE T75 "Twin dump" and then a BPM Twin dump downpipe... The magnex section flowed better than the PE T75 catted 3" centre, and did help control resonance a lot... I suspect fitting one of these will help control motorway droning that you get with the full scoobysport system with no resonator in the centre section.
Old 14 February 2003, 03:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Pat's system in production and what price?
Old 14 February 2003, 04:19 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Pat's is being banged up (jigged?) on a car at the moment, I think.
Presumably cost will be coming along once they've worked that bit out?
And no, obviously I'm not waiting for one either

On another thing, the BPM DP (such as Christian's) makes a big difference. I used to have a scoobysport bellmouth thingy & swapped to the BPM - quietens it up & reduces the droning. Good exhaust!
Old 14 February 2003, 04:52 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Pavlo

We didn't heavily push the quiet version as the noise reduction was achieved by choking the internal diameter of the backbox down to 2".

It did make it quiet, but back pressure was pretty high.
Old 14 February 2003, 05:02 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

H&S said the same to me - dropping the 3" to a 2.5" through the muffler is how they would acheive the lower sound level & recommended against it for flow - instead they said to but a bubble chamber (?) in the mid section, which seems to have helped!
Old 17 February 2003, 05:26 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Vate

If you or anyone else has an H&S backbox for sale as its too loud, then please email me as per profile
Thanks

Ben
Old 17 February 2003, 06:45 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Gussie Cup
I'll mail you off BBS if I sell the H&S backbox.
I'm off to see them in Basildrain next wkd to try a 'quiet' BB and/or a 'bubbled' ctr section.
I may try a scorpion BB as well. Seems they are indeed identical in construction to the Prodrive PPP BB....OK?
Old 18 February 2003, 09:08 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.
More helpful comments than I could have hoped for.
I guess I'm just going to have to 'suck it and see'. There probably is no substitute for trial and error in finding the ideal combination of DP (def keeping SS) + Ctr + BB. I'll see what H&S can muster up at the weekend.
Old 02 July 2003, 03:59 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Yate, I have a scorpion BB on my MY98 UK - it has a 4" tail pipe, and is not too loud (definitely not in comparison to A scoobysport system. I am looking for the opposite though, as i want LOUD!!!!
edited to say, where in essex are you, if it is not that far then we can meet and you can hear the scorpion BB

[Edited by ragnarock2 - 2/7/2003 4:00:30 PM]