Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is there a Subaru fix for the MY00 clutch judder or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 03:42 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is coming up to the end of its warranty period and once again is suffering from the 'they all do that' juddery clutch syndrome. A warranty change has been agreed but after a six month wait for the 'new' kit to fix the problem I have been told that Subaru will not now be producing a new kit for my chassis type.

All this means the dealer will change the clutch but only for the standard item.

I know some of you with MY01 etc. have had a revised clutch kit and some with classic shape scoobs have reportedly had P1 clutches fitted but has anyone had an official replacement upgrade to a classic shape?

I know I could go down the AP organic route, or something similar, but I don't see why I should fork out to overcome an accepted design fault whilst the car is still under warranty.

Any help would be appreciated as the car is booked in again next week for the change and if something better than the original can be fitted so much the better.

Jon

Old 04 February 2003, 03:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

P1 clutch in mine did the trick

(Warranty)

MB
Old 04 February 2003, 03:53 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark, that's one to try.

Anyone anything else?

Jon
Old 04 February 2003, 04:19 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Very much doubt it is MAF related. They dont like cold weather too much, on a morning.

But keep an eye on the MAF anyway

MB
Old 04 February 2003, 04:38 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Defo a clutch thing on my car as it only happens on cold, damp mornings for the first two or three times you pull away. It can be overcome by a slipping / blast start but I don't like doing that on a cold engine / transmission and anyway it bloody irrating and shouldn't happen in the first place.

The guy from the dealer thinks its possibly due to a slightly warped plate but I can't see why that should happen only on cold mornings.

My own view is it's something to do with the plate lining material possibly absorbing moisture from the damp air but then again I could be talking a lot of boll***.

Jon
Old 04 February 2003, 05:24 PM
P1 Owner
Scooby Regular

Smile

Motorman,

My P1 had the same problme, they changed the clutch and fly wheel, (under warranty) and still I get problems.

My scooby dealers say they are still awaiting confirmation on a new part from Japan.... They have a LOOONNGGG list of scooby owners requesting this new part Watch this space I guess..
Old 04 February 2003, 06:19 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

P1,

That was what I was told up until today when the dealer tells me he has looked into this with Subaru UK and was told that they are not now going to produce a new kit for my chassis type (which I guess means classics).
As most of these will be out of the original warranty in the next year I guess that makes some sense. I'm just a bit pi55ed off about the whole thing really and wish Subaru could have been up front in the first place.

Jon
Old 04 February 2003, 09:58 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Had the same problems with my MY99. Had the clutch changed and it helped for a while.

One temporary solution I was told about on Scoobynet that helps is to select reverse and holding the car on the handbrake release the clutch till it bits (applying a small amount of throttle to stop it stalling) hold it for a couple of seconds then push the clutch pedal back in, this basically cleans up the clutch plate and works for about 1-2 months.

Or something I've found is that if you don't touch the throttle when you bring up the clutch it doesn't judder. So maybe a change in driving style solves the problem as well.

Permanent solution is to fit an AP clutch, but I'm only going to do that when this one is worn out.

DaveW
Old 05 February 2003, 08:22 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dont bother trying to fit one from an STi7. They do it as well.
Old 05 February 2003, 08:34 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Jon

Is it Waldonway by any chance?

I had 2 clutches fitted by them on my old car under warranty, the first at 24k and the 2nd within 3k

Both times they told me it had had a P1 clutch housing fitted, must admit the 2nd one seemed to fix the juddering while I had it, don't think the new owner is suffering.

Old 06 February 2003, 10:47 AM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Hi Mega

No it's Lancasters at Sevenoaks, I mentioned to them the P1 fix but the guy didn't know of this so said they could only fit the standard parts.

Jon
Old 06 February 2003, 03:05 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh, in that case quote my car and it's fix at Waldonway and tell him to fit a P1 housing...get him to ring Bruce in the service dept as he knew all about the problem.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Old 06 February 2003, 03:46 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Thanks I'll do that.
Old 02 April 2003, 03:10 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

My clutch was replaced, and this did sort the problem out for a time, but it has been coming back recently with increasing severity.

My MAF was changed at a recent service (it was under-reading), and the clutch judder has completely gone!. It may be a cooincidence, but maybe the engine is running richer and more smoothly in the rpm/load zones I was using to pull away.

There was no check engine lights, or other gross operational indications that the MAF was on it's way out, so it may be good to have the dealer check it out on the select monitor.

And no, the garage did not thrash the car to clean up the clutch for me!

[Edited by AlexM - 2/4/2003 4:12:31 PM]