Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anyone fitted this downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 06:56 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi all, opened the package containing my new downpipe tonight to reveal a different lambda fitting location to my current one (hks on 94 wrx), my current is at the bottom of the bend on the d/p like standard, can I use this d/p in the picture?, why is it closer to the turbo?

Anyone fitted this i=on a classic?, if so does it create major trouble with the heat sheild?

I will ring the sender tommorrow but worried i wont have a d/p to fit saturday now so wanted advice from here so i can put my mind at rest (sad eh?)

James
Old 22 January 2003, 07:34 PM
The TunnelMeister
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought they all looked like this!!

At least the 3 (different makes) that I have do.

Yep, I've had this type fitted to MY00, Std turbo & P1. Don't know about models previous to that.

Hope this helps in some way mate!!

Steve.
Old 22 January 2003, 07:38 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

sort of helps

but the two i've had haven't had the mounting point for the lamda there. My car is a 94 wrx, so must be different, suppose i've got the type for your year, anyone used this on my age car?
Old 22 January 2003, 09:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 22 January 2003, 10:02 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Hi James,

I also have got a 94 WRX with an HKS down pipe, the probe in the bottom of the down pipe should be an exhaust temp sensor, it is smaller than a lambda probe and the cable leading away from it should be covered in a metal braid. When you remove the turbo heat shields you will find the HKS down pipe also has a lambda probe hole in the same place as your new Scoobysport down pipe. Use the blanking bung from the HKS unit or buy 1 from TSL as they keep them in stock. I think I can remember reading on hear that if your new down pipe didn't have an exhaust temp sensor hole you could get away with not fitting it, just leave it wired up but cable tieing it out of the way.

Colin.
Old 22 January 2003, 10:05 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

ok so i is mad as a box of frogs and i'm thinking bout the sensor that protects the cat(thanks to email), can this be confirmed that the lambda sensor is in the manifold on my car, and the sensor that screws to d/p on my car is a cat overheating sensor?

If so I don't need it then.
Old 22 January 2003, 10:16 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

thanks colin, my HKS downpipe doesn't have a lambda sensor hole in it, I know because I fitted it myself, I'll source a blanking bolt for my new d/p.

I removed the exhaust temp sensor from my gti-r's exhaust so should have known really but the new d/p threw me as it is different to my hks d/p.

Anyone know whether the exh temp sensor does anything other than provides visible warning for temp?, I ask coz I was told to remove from my gti-r coz i was having intermittent running probs for over a year and removing it stopped the problems. I have been told by others though that it is in no contact with the ecu for control

Cheers

James
Old 23 January 2003, 10:06 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

It can just be removed and disgarded.. (the cat on fire sensor)
Do yourself a favour though... dont get the Hole in the top of the downipe welded closed like me, the reason i say that is because when i replaced the lambda sensor on mine it would have been much easier to fit the new sensor at the top of the downpipe instead of in the headers.. get a screw in bung for it and plug it with that.
Also, if you ever fit a set of headers (HKS for example) and the headers dont have a hole for a lambda sensor you can just fit it in the top of the Downpipe..

R.
Old 23 January 2003, 10:27 AM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

colin i took the one into the downpipe off its only a egt sensor on the early cars, your lambda sensor is in the manifold under the front right wing side of the engine basically