HKS downpipe-read and reply update

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2003, 08:30 PM
Brian Lacey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My thanks for the replies so far.
Latest is that the original joint between the downpipe and centre box is a flexible joint. This is probably correct as the join has two strong springs and an internal olive. HKS simply supply a flat gasket and it would appear that the original centre section flange is bowed so as to accept the olive. So how do I get a gas tight seal between a bowed and flat surface ? Am I the only person to have this problem?

Brian
Old 20 January 2003, 10:13 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

I think the problem lies in the fact that the HKS exhaust is designed to fit a HKS/Blitz (insert whatever manufacturer) centre section.I have probably only seen one or two cars that have come over from Japan with a decat dpipe.If they are going to fit a exhaust in Japan the cat/downpipe stays in place and you just remove the olive and then use the gasket.This seems to be the usual for all Japanese aftermarket exhausts.
I think the only option is to replace the centre or cut the flange off and make up a new one and have it welded on.Probably not what you wanted to hear but its really the only solution.

Cheers

Steve
Old 21 January 2003, 12:03 AM
LEGACYTURBS
Scooby Regular

HI,
I friend of mine and me went to get a hks exhaust from the turbo back, but when we got there they only had from the down pipe back.
So they fitted this on the car after 5 atempts it stopped blowing (Enough paste later).

Since he returned for the down pipe and they snapped a stud in the turbo.

It never rains but it pours!

So yeh they dont fit right.