Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Backpressure?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2003, 10:26 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a bit of advice guys

First of all, my car. It's a MY95 which has done 166,000 miles - yes just a few I know!!!

It done 140,000 as a company car when I bought it 2 years ago.

Now the car started smoking badly from the bonnett scoop so I limped it down to my local dealer who said it was an oil leak.
I left the car with them for a couple of days and they rang me to say it was now okay and I could pick it up.

They told me they had replaced the Rocker Gasket Covers and Breather Seals (think that is right) and the cost was £287. They also said they had road tested the car and it was now fine. I promptly paid and went merrily on my way.

2 minutes down the road and what should happen, smoke billowing out of the scoop even worse than before. I did a quick about-turn and headed straight back to the dealer.

Left the car with them aagain for a few days and they rang me to say there was oil leaking from the Crank and this would cost £280 to fix.

Now I was a little pi**ed off after just paying £287 so I complained and managed to get the price reduced to £180.

The dealer still had the car another week later and when I rang to enquire they said they had lost the locking nut for my alloys (first visit they also bled my brakes) so they would have to rip them off and fit new ones!!!

I got another call to say my car was now ready and I should come and pick it up, as a goodwill gesture for all the hassle etc the bill was only £59, which I was very impressed with.

I took my car again and all seemed fine, I ran the car for a couple of days, taking care not to drive the car hard, the car was then parked in my garage and left for 2 days.

2 days later when I backed the car out of the garage there was oil over the floor - I couldn't beleive it!!!!

The car was then back with the dealer for another 2 weeks (just got it back yesterday) and they said they can't find any leaks at all. The only explanation they can give is that the engine is generating back pressure and oil may be leaking from the crank / cam seal (means nothing to me) so they charged me £87 and off I went again.

As they didn't really give a very good explanation I would just like to know anyones opinion on a few things:

1) Is it this backpressure that is making the oil leak out of the engine?

2) What could be the cause?

3) Can it be fixed?

4) Anyone want to buy my car??? (joking)

Cheers for any advice guys

Paul

p.s Car is currently sat in my garage and I'm too scared to drive it really as I don't know the implications

Edited to say sorry about the long winded post but I wanted to get the history of this problem across

[Edited by Hanley - 1/16/2003 10:28:12 AM]
Old 16 January 2003, 10:45 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul

We have seen cars that have high crankcase pressure and this will push oil out past the crank seals.
Old 16 January 2003, 10:46 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Pete

What options do I have?

Cheers

Paul
Old 16 January 2003, 10:54 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Check the oil breather system, but most likely it's a ring seal problem..... Basically, take it to a different garage for a leak down test.

Richard
Old 16 January 2003, 10:56 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Can I ask another question.

When it comes to the workings of a car my knowledge is pretty limited - if it doesn't have a hard drive and you can't chip it I'm useless

Just before this happened I noticed that if I was cruising in 5th at around 80MPH and I dropped the car into 3rd to accelerate away the car would cough, judder etc and then finally decide to go.

I'm assuming this is related to all of this

Old 16 January 2003, 11:43 AM
yoza
BANNED

Have a look in for sale David Wallis Ive just put it to the top 4 you......he will fit it too