Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is my clutch dying???

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 02:09 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Was doing 80 mph in 5th on sunday and put my foot down to accelerate. The revs jumped up really quickly but i did'nt go any faster. This happened a couple of times later that journey and has happened again today.

Am I going to be waiting for the RAC by the roadside anytime soon?
Old 07 January 2003, 02:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Looks like it mate Get the wallet out!
Old 07 January 2003, 02:19 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

sounds exactly like mine did when my clutch died. started grief in 5th gear and over the course of about 3 weeks got worse in 4th, 3rd then i got done off the lights by a corsa so i had to change the clutch.

The more you drive it when its fcuked tho the more likely your gonna need a new flywheel as well and they aint cheap.
I would also recommend an AP Racing Clutch as same sort of price as subaru one, but uprated. go 4 the organic one not the paddle tho.

paul-s
Old 07 January 2003, 02:44 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheers guys. Looks like next few months are gonna be expensive ( insurance, tax, 45,000 service, geomatry at Powerstation and now clutch )

Paul,

Is the AP Racing Clutch good for every day use. I sit in alot stop start traffic each day and don't want to work my left leg too hard. Have you any any idea of cost?
Old 07 January 2003, 02:46 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

no worries mate, clutch is about 390 for an AP Organic or 420quid for an AP Paddle Clutch. the paddle is only for track really and will be a killer to drive, however the organic handles the power fine and is no different to the standard one. its good for about 350 bhp.

paul-s
Old 07 January 2003, 03:06 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

If you driven it and the clutch has slipped a few times as you have said , chances are your flywheel is buggered already. Had mine done + flywheel for about £700 and that was the uprated HELIX clutch which is supposed to be 35% better than std scoob stuff for less or equal money depending where you shop ! I got mine done at the place below ( dont know where in the country you are ). They had a spare flywheel ready to go as they always need doing and it took them less than a day . If your lucky ,the flywheel they have may be a lightened one !!!!

http://www.gdasportscars.co.uk/

K
Old 07 January 2003, 03:37 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just been told by TSL that I'm looking at about £800 all in for a AP organic. I can't believe that the next 4 weeks are gonna cost me £3500-$4000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I've wanted an Impreza for the last 9 odd years I may have to sell this thing after the works been done. Can't warrant the costs much longer....

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2003, 04:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Question

I've had months like that mate It drives you mental huh! I've got insurance at the end of this month as well

Whats all this talk of flywheels. Why does a slipping clutch kill the flywheel? Does it only need to slip once? I fooked up a launch once (overcooked it ) and the car stayed still as she did 7k rpm....flywheel seems fine Smelt pretty bad though
Old 07 January 2003, 05:04 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
You need to speak to J-Spec

The AP organic is only rated to 300 bhp or so, wheras the Helix organic is Rated to 320bhp if mem serves me right but it can handle 320 ft/lbs of torque, dont forget the AP price doesnt include the release bearing wheras the Helix does, off the top of my head the helix is about £460inc vat, you can get them fitted for about £150, still not cheap tho...
Old 08 January 2003, 11:54 AM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

TSL said thay would machine the flywheel and make it a little lighter. They'll also balance it.

I asked them if it needed replacing and they said that they very rarly have to replace a flywheel due to damage.

I most confess that a couple of weeks ago I attempted a racing start and also fried the clutch ( very nasty smell ) so I'm not blame free on this one.

I'm really picky about who does any work on the car after a number of bad experiances. Took my old Saab Aero to TSL once and was really impressed with professional attitude and knowledge and peace of mind is important to me.
Old 08 January 2003, 12:10 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

How I understand it, when you attempt a `racing start`, the clutch is not completely engaged. You are slowly feeding it in and when you get it wrong the clutch slips which causes the friction plates the burn hence the smell. When your clutch is worn and you are driving your foot is totally off the pedal and hence the clutch mechanism is completely engaged. The only thing left to slip against is the flywheel and this is where the damage is done and small heat cracks appear on the surface of the flywheel hence you needing a new one . I`m sure someone will dive in if I`ve got that all **** about face !!!

k
Old 08 January 2003, 02:37 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

what is in general the difference between the organic clutch and the paddle, as mine needs replacing and i do alot of heavy stop starting in it. Which would you advise ?