Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Refusing to start...........

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2002, 06:43 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

What was a very pleasant Xmas was ruined on Friday by my MY99 refusing to start. The RAC were duly called and, having tested just about every bit of wire leading to/from the starter motor, battery etc speculated that the problem was either the crank sensor or the coil pack. The battery seemed fine - the engine was just refusing to fire.

However, the following day I managed, after 10 or so attempts, to get it started & immediately winged it cross-country to York to visit another set of relis.

Still concerned - as it again failed to start properly - I took it into FR Pulleyn in York. Having checked the crank sensor they suspect a fuel pressure problem, but haven't yet been able to reach a definite conclusion. Very grateful to them, however, for looking at the car so quickly. The RAC man was fairly sure that he could hear the fuel pump running. They've also found that after 10 or so attempts the car will start (& run fine - it just doesn't seem to want to start in the first place). Thus I've had to take a day off work, leave the car 200 miles away in York to return to work tomorrow

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Hugh
Old 30 December 2002, 09:40 PM
scoobystutoo
Scooby Regular

Try looking at the black plug under the rear seats on driver side it has four wires going to the tank & the fuel pump you can get high resistance there witch could be your problem.
stu
Old 31 December 2002, 12:20 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be the water temperature sensor located on the back left of the manifold. If you try to start it a few times then whip out a spark plug and its wet with petrol then thats your baby....
Old 31 December 2002, 08:26 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

could be a problem with the ignition key, as if the immobiliser sensor does not get a full pickup , it can trigger the immobiliser circuit, causing the engine to turn over but not fire. Might need a diagnostic check to check the system memory and "clear" it, may not need new parts at all......
Old 31 December 2002, 10:10 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the replies chaps - much appreciated.

Hugh