Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which mods for EcuTek 2 remap?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2002, 01:15 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safest I'd have thought would be de-cat, leave the standard air inlet in place & use a Tek2. The de-cat increases VE/reduces exhaust temps, so reducing the chance of det, but the standard ECU can easily overboost with this, so induce det. The Tek2 is set up for this & thereby won't overboost, so is safer. Induction kit - chosen & fitted correctly - is pretty safe, but adds very little of anything other than noise until bigger power/larger turbo.
FMIC is also a good safety measure, but adds to the expense quite a bit...

ooo, edited to say cooler plugs (just 1 step) probably good too

[Edited by nom - 12/10/2002 1:16:03 PM]
Old 12 October 2002, 05:24 PM
BIG E
Scooby Regular

The difference of option seems to be wide ranging but the up shot is it doesn’t seem to matter whether you have a decat dp or not, as the ecu learns to adapt to the conditions and a dp can be added later.

Ian

[Edited by BIG E - 12/10/2002 5:26:24 PM]
Old 12 October 2002, 10:01 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Question

So, say I went to PE and had mine mapped and on the road (presume this is reccomended) can they fit it on the day and what is the cost? There are so many prices flying around, it gets confusing £500 + vat and your old chip, RR included?

I don't think there is any way I would get one by mail order. I would rather let them have the car and check it out first...

MB

[Edited by Dark Blue Mark - 12/10/2002 10:02:18 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 11:30 AM
BIG E
Scooby Regular

Question

I’m seriously considering having a EcuTek 2 remap. I currently have no other mods apart from a sccobysport centre section and backbox.

What I what to know is, will I have to make any additional mods, ie intercooling piping, spark plugs, panel filter etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old 10 December 2002, 11:41 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Seriously recommend a cat free downpipe mate - this is probably the best mod u can do. Have a Scoobysport item, and it transformed the turbo's spool up perf.
Old 10 December 2002, 12:10 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.turbosport.co.uk/dev.php?tsfile=davidwallis5 to see the blanked off orig downpipe face that mates to the turbo - bit like a brick wall...
Old 10 December 2002, 12:22 PM
BIG E
Scooby Regular

Diesel

Are you suggesting I decat the down pipe rather than remapping the ecu.

I’ve got to be honest mate could be arsed refitting the centre cat for MOT proposes.

Then again maybe a down pipe with a high flow cat is the option, while keeping the ecu standard.
Old 10 December 2002, 12:25 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

How about both? Remember that a Tek2 is effectively a PPP level product. The PPP keeps the original DP with the Cat in it and the nasty blocked off Wastegate port. Would you rather have a PPP or a DP? I'd go for the PPP/Tek 2. Having said that, I'd probably actually go for both

Matt
Old 10 December 2002, 12:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

You should do both mate... The downpipe first - about £250. Then later whan you can afford it re-map the ECU just to make sure she's not running too lean - will also give you more power, driveability & torque. Bargain!

You should be able to do the centre section for the MOT in 15 mins! Or a mate of a mate at the station...
Old 10 December 2002, 01:08 PM
BIG E
Scooby Regular

Smile

I’d rather have a tek 2 than a dp, but the sensible thing would be to decat first so the remap could take the dp into account.

I have some concerns the standard plug would over heat with a tek 2 remap what do you think.

I also have concerns over reliability with big power increases on a UK spec car, but I want the grin factor back.

Ian
Old 10 December 2002, 01:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yep - the map will be better power for yer money after the downpipe.

I know my STi V has forged pistons which helps reliability through preventing them melting – but I would hope you would be OK with 30 to 40 extra BHP? Don’t go for any extra boost in the mapping if you like which will limit the power gain to the 40 or so BHP.

Wonder how much extra stress is actually put on the engine through just making it breathe and fuel properly? I guess not as much as adding an extra 3 Psi on the turbo’s puff! (I'm just closing my eyes and enjoying the 325 + BHP!)

D
Old 10 December 2002, 04:18 PM
BIG E
Scooby Regular

Wow this is getting out of hand the credit card gonna get some serious stick.

So to recap fitting a dp with my scoobysport centre section and backbox can cause overboost with the standard ecu which can induce dent. So the best plan is to fit a decat dp along with a Tek 2 remap and a set of uprated plug.

This little lot must be already £1000+ so what sort of increase in bhp and torque could I expect.

NOM, Sorry mate what does FMIC stand for.

Cheers
Ian
Old 10 December 2002, 04:27 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

why dont you get a TEK 2 and have safe reliable increase in power with no nasty loud exhaust to upset your neighbours ! Then if you want more get the DP and pop back for a remap ... Best of both worlds I`d of thought. I`m in the same boat and have made my mind up for the TEK 2 and if I want more later I`ll add it on. Dont forget the ECU learns.
Old 10 December 2002, 04:46 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bear in mind that the Tek 2 is a standard re-map and I *think* it works well with a standard downpipe and even better with a Decat one. You can do these two in any order as by it's very nature, the Tek 2 won't be mapped to your specific mods.

If you want that then that is a Tek 3 and should be done after you've done you other mods.

Matt
Old 10 December 2002, 05:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

The TEK 2 will work just fine with your current set up and is a good mod IMO. However, give some serious consideration to going full decat afterwards as the decat downpipe transforms the car with much quicker turbo spool up making it more driveable and the noise making it more enjoyable
Old 10 December 2002, 05:06 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

I've got a Tek2 and decat, and would definitely get both done The down pipe makes a lot of difference over the std set up, and then the Tek2 will add a little bit more.

Not sure if I have come across anyone with a Tek2 on a non de-catted pipe, so not sure of the power difference.

I suppose the only other thing you may want to consider is some better hoses to cope with the increased boost - as Matt said the Tek2 is similar to the PPP and they change it on a PPP. Having said that I have yet to get around to doing mine

Matt
Old 10 December 2002, 05:28 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I agree with Saxo Boy - I'd go for Tek2, then decat. Both are good & that set up will always be 'safe'. Part of the Tek2 should be replacing the hoses around the intercooler - the oem ones can't really cope with over 1 bar.
FMIC is a Front Mounted InterCooler. Doesn't have the heat-soak problems like the TMIC (Top Mounted InterCooler) but could be left out with no bad side effects at this level - just don't floor it after sitting in traffic
Old 10 December 2002, 06:57 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

All I have is ITG filter and scoobysport back box and mine is booked in for Tek 2 on friday. I dont plan to do the downpipe as I dont want the increased noise in the cabin and definately no more on the outside !! Are people now suggesting that the turbo pipes need uprating as well. I assume that this is not part if the Tek 2 kit ????? Also , Is the general consensus that getting the downpipe done is almost the equivilent as having a Tek 2 re map ??
Old 10 December 2002, 07:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I ran a tek 2.5 with the standard down pipe for a fair while. Boost was kept at 1.2bar with a dawes and then could be turned up to 1.25 after full-decat. The TEK defo made a noticeable difference even with the standard cat in place but as with all scooby mods (with the exception of new turbo's, front mount, etc) don't expect it to be a night and day difference.
Old 10 December 2002, 08:05 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Depending on how customised you want the map, you're better off with a full decat beforehand - ignition may need pulling a little otherwise (so I hear, I've *never* remapped a car with the original cat still in the downpipe!).

Get the Samco i/c hose at the same time.

Richard
Old 11 December 2002, 09:02 AM
BIG E
Scooby Regular

Kris

Where have you got your car book in mate, PE. I’m very interested to see what sort of power gains you get for your money and whether they recommended to change plugs and intercooling piping. Can you let me know

Cheers Ian
Old 11 December 2002, 05:09 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Spoke to PE and theres no need to change anything to accomodate the TEK 2 re map. The turbo pipes dont need changing and neither do the intercooler pipes.
Old 11 December 2002, 07:01 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

DBMark - I believe you have a "bugeye"? I can answer the question from the PE point of view. I got mine mapped there last week. It took 1.5 hours and cost £650+VAT. For that I got the TEK 2 map, several runs on the rollers with deltadash running to tweak/check it was all behaving, and a printout of the power and torque afterwards. With ported headers, up-pipe, sports cat exhaust and the Samco intercooler hose, that gave 284bhp/272lbft torque, with a lovely wide power and torque curve.

I have heard rumours that the OE intercooler "y" hose can split under higher boost. If you look at it, it will probably lose you a couple of bhp from restricted air flow, and the Samco hose kit is not expensive (less than £100). Therefore, suggest it is a worthwhile mod.
Old 13 December 2002, 11:35 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hades,

Ta for that - nice power figure you have there I have a UK99 model, but I imagine it would take the same time to do.

MB