Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OK,

For anyone interested, I've updated my comparison charts with Paul's data:

Boost

Knock

Injector Duty Cycle

Wastegate Duty Cycle

Interesting that the P75 + Ecutek holds more boost in the mid range and also runs less advance. I bet this feels v.nice on the road Paul, I don't suppose you have a Dyno chart for us?

Ta,

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 12/10/2002 3:51:22 PM]
Old 12 October 2002, 04:38 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

John,
It runs less knock correction depends on the base ignition map plus knock correction what actual advance it is running.
That's what happens when you let uneducated fools get their hands on diagnostic equipment m8

Is the Ignition table a true indication of what is being run or do you have to add the Knock Correction to this table to get a true reading?

Ta,

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 12/10/2002 4:47:02 PM]
Old 12 October 2002, 06:00 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Also forgot to say above that I'm mapped for use with 95 or 97 RON fuel. Although I always use 97/Optimax anyway, its good to know that I can safely use 95 RON if I'm stuck somewhere.

I've also now got a nice cold start feature within the map which prevents full power being used before the water temperature is representative of a warmed-up engine. I never trash it from cold anyway but again nice to have another safety feature to prevent me from doing myself mischief.

[Edited by Paul N P - 12/10/2002 6:04:01 PM]
Old 09 December 2002, 07:58 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just had my STI7 UK back from Power Engineering following some testing by the boys from EcuTek.

Although the re-mapped ECU is still going through it's learning period, already the results are nothing short of superb and I'm chuffed to bits with the vastly improved performance and driveability.

I went into PE last week with my car already running the full PE T75 system (incl. sports cat), this already felt much quicker than a standard STI UK and I recently left with a much quicker and smoother car again after PE re-map using EcuTek software.

Boost is set at 1.3bar in the mapping and is held from approx 3000 rpm and trails off between 5500 and 6000rpm so there is a smooth transition from 1.3bar at 5500rpm to 1bar at 6000rpm and holding this till 7250rpm.

My power/torque figues were already excellent with the T75 system installed earlier in the year, but due to the original ECU map this was with poor boost control (although with no boost spikes), lots of knock correction (due to poor boost control) and hesitancy (caused by knock correction). This is now well and truly sorted out by the boys at PE using the EcuTek software!

Turbo spool up feels stronger and sooner than previous, it feels like I am in one gear lower than I actually am, particularly from 3000 to 6000 rpm. Turbo now feels like it is starting to do some real work from below 3000rpm whereas previously it started to noticeably pull from 3500rpm or so.

Mid-range is superb. I seem to be gaining up to an extra 40lbs/ft through the majority of the mid-range.

Also the car feels much smoother from 0 to 6000 rpm but probably very similar to previous from 6000 to 7500rpm in smoothness and acceleration.

As you can tell I am well impressed by the result of the testing efforts above and I can assure you that I have no connections to PE nor EcuTek, I'm just a very happy punter enjoying a good car getting much better!

Old 09 December 2002, 10:42 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was it that made you go for the Power Engineering system?

I have been considering the Prodrive upgrade, but the more I hear about it, the less convinced I am that it is worth the money. The PE system is an alternative that I have thought about, having had other cars worked on by Powers with satisfactory results.

What sort of power and torque figures did the car achieve after the final set up?. 1.3bar isn't a great increase in boost from the standard cars 1.2, so they certainly aren't getting the improvements in power from more boost?
I had my car on the rolling road a couple of weeks ago and the peak torque came in at just over 4300rpm.(totally standard set-up)
One thing though that does concern me is the noice level of the PE exhaust system, I certainly don't want a noisy car, which is why I am tempted by the safe Prodrive system. How do you rate the PE system? (even in comparison with most noisy Subarus)
One last question I have, is how much did the exhaust and Ecu-tek set up cost?

It certainly sounds as though the car is much more drivable, glad to here that you are happy with it as well.

Regards,
Chris.
(JohnD is my fathers log-in)
Old 09 December 2002, 10:55 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Paul - was it your car there on Friday pm? A nice loooking STi came off the rollers when I arrived before my MY02 WRX went on for the ECUTEK (which incidentally I rather like too!)

Chris-John Power did have a WRX demonstrator with their full exhaust on and were quite happy to give a ride. Although a modified WRX won't go as fast as a modified STi, it will give you a good idea of noise levels. Personally, I found it a bit too boomy at low speeds, but others find it great. I went with an APS sports cat system which IMHO is quieter and sounds nicer - rasp and burble but not boom. Exhaust noise is a very personal thing and I recommend you listen to one before splashing out that sort of money! I'm only just over the river if you want to hear the APS.
Old 09 December 2002, 11:04 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear your comments on PE's system since I am thinking about the same. In fact, I visited PE today for a chat with Merv and to listen to the exhaust system fitted to their WRX. They seem to take alot of care with the remapping, keeping the car for 2 days, running safe air fuel ratios (10:1) and lower boost than PPP. They also don't need to use any restrictors. I believe I have a print out of a power run from your STi7 making about 309 hp and 292 lbft with 1.3 bar boost. Was this at the end of the 2 day period they had your car? I presume from your posting that you are getting even more power and torque now due to the ecu self learning. With the PE exhaust did you go for the PE up-pipe with the the rest of their system?

I had a ride in their WRX to get some idea of the likely noise levels in an STi7. The noise levels seemed OK in the short drive around the area but I wasn't able to judge levels when cruising on the motorway. I was slightly disappointed with the sound quality from the system (not enough boxer beat) and wondered if it sounds different on the STi7 to the WRX.

I would really be very interested in hearing your car if you do not live too far away from me (Oxford)? Feal free to email me if you wish to chat offline.

Alan
Old 10 December 2002, 12:30 AM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

I too will soon be taking my STi7 for the ECUTEK. The car has just today been fitted with the Milltek/Litchfieds Hi Flo Cat exhaust system. Although noise is a subjective thing, i am well pleased with the low noise levels and lack of booming from this system. The boxer beat is definately present at idle and low speeds, but at high speed cruising, the car really is not noticably noisier than standard. This was just what i was looking for. It sounds exactly like my STi5 with the P1 upgrade backbox.
Performance has also noticably improved, much as stated above with the PE system. Good idea to listen to the PE/APS and Milltek systems.
Old 10 December 2002, 07:23 AM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

I went for the PE system back in March shortly after getting my STI. This was because I was very disapointed by the performance and sound of the standard car and wanted to improve this situation. I went to PE due to known quality of their T75 system and the extent I know they go to ensure all is OK before letting me loose on the road. This was during the time many people were getting huge boost spikes with other after market exhaust systems and PE spent quite a lot of time RR/road testing with Delta-dash running to ensure all was OK with their system.

I've covered about 10,000 miles with this system on now and the sounds suits my taste perfectly, I would liken it to a GRP N rally car. Definitely louder than the standard system, but from my experience not as loud as SS, HKS or Blitz systems. Also definitely no loss in boxer beat, as my neighbours will tell you!

PE will be charging £750 + VAT for the EcuTek upgrade with this work performed on the dyno. I'm not sure about the stand alone exhaust cost, but I know PE will offer their exhaust system and the matched ECU as a package.

I think torque/power figures quoted above are from my car, but don't forget these are peak figues, it is the area under both these curves which is the key thing, and this is what has changed dramatically since the re-map. This is also with a very safe map running very sensible boost levels.

With the ECU learning process, the car is feeling much quicker again than when I picked it up on Saturday, so I look forward to being back on the RR before Xmas for a final run with PE.

Paul

[Edited by Paul N P - 12/10/2002 1:48:23 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 10:33 AM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Lemmy....YHM
Old 10 December 2002, 12:35 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul,

Good to hear you like it I suspect a fair few STi7 owners are seriously considering the Ecutek upgrade

Don't suppose you've got a DeltaDash trace and or Dyno print out you could share with us have you?

Ta,

Matt
Old 10 December 2002, 01:34 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Matt....YHM
Old 10 December 2002, 01:44 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hmmm.....£881.25 for the remap, plus probably near on £1000 for a full turbo back exhaust with sports cat, and no warranty!

And people say the PPP is expensive at £1995.....not knocking the EcuTek as by all accounts it is a very good product, but somehow the PPP with full warranty doesn't seem so bad after all.......
Old 10 December 2002, 02:27 PM
rawsy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Apart from EcuTek custom map is probably much better performance than crude PPP boost clamp. Even Prodrive are using EcuTek software for future mapping, doesn't that tell you something ??!!
Old 10 December 2002, 03:10 PM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Question

I would be more interested to hear of someone who has had a remap with no exhaust change, which is what I am considering, or is this just not worth while ?
Old 10 December 2002, 03:19 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Re-map without some sort of exhaust change would definitely not be worthwhile, the standard STI exhaust is very very restrictive.
Old 10 December 2002, 03:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It runs less knock correction depends on the base ignition map plus knock correction what actual advance it is running.
Old 10 December 2002, 04:16 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Yes, John is spot on.

You would need to look at the base map and the correction map to see what ignition is being run. The log was done at the end of mapping too and this will change considerably over the following few days.
Old 10 December 2002, 04:28 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paul NP,

I posted in general on this subject earlier not realising you had posted here as one of the band of 4 who have had this conversion done. Seems an agreeable conversion although I would like to hear your views in, say, 5K miles time when the system has had some serious use.

I am encouraged by Ecutek's safe mapping philosophy, which should go some way to alleviating my fears about my engine giving up the ghost at some point after conversion. Seems the software used is a more sophisticated solution than the PPP, although this is not a knock at PPP.

I would be very interested in your torque and power graphs (before and after), if they are available. I am looking for extra torque and greater driveability/flexibility although making it to 300bhp would go down nicely in the local pub (no, I'm not that sad).

I was considering the MoTec conversion because the Ecutek was not available at the time and MoTec use a replacement ECU. The benefit of this is that you can put your car back to standard at any time. Ecutek flash the existing ECU, which makes that option a little more difficult. However although I have been made aware that someone has had the MoTec conversion done on an STi7, I have not found out who as yet (stand up, whoever you are). I quite like the concept of the Ecutek, especially at the price.

Look forward to the graphs, if you have them.

WB at Xmas
Old 10 December 2002, 05:47 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I'll scan the dyno chart tomorrow and e-mail it to you, this is before and after the re-map with the T75 system installed in both instances.

Also I'm going back into PE before Xmas, once the ECU self learning is more advanced, to do another dyno run and Delta-dash log. The bl00dy thing is still getting quicker and smoother from day-to-day, so I looking forward to seeing further data on this.

As you suggested above, boost profile tells it all and this car is dramatically different to drive than when it arrived at PE last week. I now wish I had gone straight from standard car straight to T75 & EcuTek for an even bigger smile.
Old 10 December 2002, 06:09 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul,

Good man and

Matt
Old 11 December 2002, 01:36 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Matt....YHM (dyno chart)
Old 11 December 2002, 02:06 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul's Dyno Chart. Presumably Paul, one is with the P75 system + restrictor and the other is the same after the Tek remap.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 11 December 2002, 04:01 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

" one is with the P75 system + restrictor and the other is the same after the Tek remap."

Merv at PE assured me that no restrictors are necessary with the Ecutek remap, since the ECU can adequately control the boost with the new map.

Alan
Old 11 December 2002, 04:47 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Matt,

For reference the previous restrictor size was 1.05mm. You asked me a while back what size it was and I didn't know at the time. I checked with Merv and he confirmed the above.

Cheers

Paul
Old 11 December 2002, 06:13 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul,

Just to clarify, when you switched from the standard STi exhaust to the full PE P75 system, to control Boost spikes PE fitted a 1.05mm restrictor. When you had your Ecutek remap, I assume you stuck with this same restrictor or did they put the original one back in before they did the mapping?

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. Lemmy, you see why I suspect Paul may have had an Ecutek map with a different restrictor now?
Old 12 December 2002, 08:48 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Dave
Old 12 December 2002, 10:10 AM
Gofaster
Scooby Newbie

Whose looking for a fella with an STi7 and a MoTec. Cos I'm here and what would you like to know?
Old 13 December 2002, 10:50 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

GoFaster do you know if your MoTeC is reading the front or rear O2 sensor?

Quick Reply: EcuTek STI7 UK Re-Map @ Power Engineering