Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DIY ECU remap for 95 wrx ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 03:54 PM
scoobeee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have read the thread on this topic but I'm still not clear on whether this is a real DIY option or not ?

Can anyone clear up just what is required in way of hardware and software (including where to purchase it) to allow access to modify fuel / timing and boost control maps.

Will this also allow me to display/adjust my current maps on my PC ?

thanks
Old 12 November 2002, 04:00 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Hope this answers your questions http://shop.scoobynet.co.uk/Product.asp?ProductID=499

Chris
Old 12 November 2002, 04:21 PM
scoobeee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for that Chris but it doesn't really answer my questions.

The website/shop just appears to be selling chips which are already reprogrammed. The only DIY part is plugging it in !!!

It mentions an eprom reprogrammer can be bought but where ? What type ? I don't think it is just as simple as buy a £45 programmer, plug it in to your ECU and then start adjusting values, is it ?

How do you get the maps from the ECU to your PC screen ? Then what software do you use to modify them ? Then how do you reflash them ?

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions but I really would like to have a go at this.

Maybe I misunderstood the thread but I thought it was a true DIY remap ???

thanks
Old 12 November 2002, 05:00 PM
scrappy_doo
Scooby Regular

Well its a DIY thread if
a) Electronics is your job, as you have to solder a socket to the ECU in most cases in order to insert the prgrammed chip.
b) Have ROM images of various MAPS available to you fro the ECU.
c) you need the adaptor to download the ECU ROMS.
I am not sure as to what software you need as I don't do this myself I just talked to Scott www.scoobyecu.co.uk
Old 12 November 2002, 05:27 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Find more info on this mate and tell us what he says. If I can change the fueling on my car, I'm getting it (in conjunction with a Dawes ) and shouldn't take long to fit it in.
Old 12 November 2002, 05:58 PM
scoobeee
Scooby Regular

Thanks Scott

Is it possible to (diy) check what my current maps are as I was told the car had a performance ecu map before it was imported to the uk.
I have seen the wrx base maps and I'm comfortable with changing values within them (remapped with a link before) For someone with not a great deal of PC skills do you think this is possible ? I'm fine at user level ie spreadsheets etc but lack the tech knowledge of you guys when it comes to blowing eproms etc.
Old 13 November 2002, 09:19 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you ECU was chipped in japan it will have either an adaptor car or a 27C1028 device fitted in the spare slot. This is in the bottom right corner of the ECU (with yellow connector on your left).

Open it up and have a look, if you spot anything take a piccie and post it here, so we can try and work it out.

P.S using the spreadsheet is easy, when you have a map you like you just get Excel to split the complete map into ODD & EVEN values i.e copy Cells A1, A3, A5, A7 etc..etc... to a worksheet called 'ODD' and A0, A2, A4, A6 etc..etc.. to a worksheet called EVEN.
Then paste ODD & EVEN into 2 different files using notepad. This is then used to programme the 2 devices using an EPROM programmer.
Old 13 November 2002, 11:54 AM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Chris/Scott Does this device sort out ignition timing on imports to reduce likelyhood of det? I want to get my 93 wrx remapped as I like going to Scotland but find it very difficult to find decent fuel once past Glasgow. I would like to get it remapped so I could run on 95 RON fuel if I need to without resorting to driving like an oap on those amazing highland roads. Not bothered about massive power gains, just reliability.
Old 13 November 2002, 12:10 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

The perfonace maps are based on Jap WRX 95, so fuelling & ignition timing would require 97 RON min.

We do, however, have UK maps so ignition & fuelling suitable to 95 RON could be applied, however, you would not be able to safely run high boost - its always a compromise m8 ;-)

Chris

Personally - for one off trips or holidays - I just use Octane boosters

[Edited by Chris.Palmer - 11/13/2002 12:12:51 PM]
Old 13 November 2002, 12:25 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Carry a bottle of NF in the boot for those trips away....infact I use that with standard UL quite alot these days.
Old 14 November 2002, 11:32 AM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers chaps, I'll get some more octane booster in
Old 11 December 2002, 05:33 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

As with all DIY activities you need the correct tools for the job. Hanging a shelf is considered a DIY job, but you wouldn't expect to be able to do it with ya bare hands now would you

If you start with a base map (some of which are already on the net) and set this up in an excel spreasheet (again if you look hard enough there out there). You can decode and produce 3D maps, you can then recreate your own map.

This is then blown into the 2 EPROM devices. Which can be done using a device programmer such as those found at http://www.willem.org

[Edited by Scott.T - 11/12/2002 5:34:27 PM]