Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2.2 legacy convertion to a wrx impreza

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2002, 09:25 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Tonloc calm down caps are off now!! ok my scooby friend.Well my scoobyheads i have not got a diggy cam i will borrow one shortly.
And as for you adam (mr happy) i will have a look at the weekend so you can sleep.or if you live in the midlands pop over and look for yourself ( no test pilots) lol back same time tomorrow .
WHATS LATTERS ON THE BLOCK YOU MEAN NEW KIDS?

[Edited by THOMO - 12/10/2002 9:31:55 PM]
Old 26 October 2002, 07:06 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Smile

oh dear what a diffrence 2.2ltrs legacy engine makes. i was lucky to get a second hand 26000 miles legacy engine fitted for £900.why spend £3000 on ecu ,boost upgrades and mapping etc this is an amazing upgrade .instant responce allround better car mind blowing performance .im yet to put it on a dyno ill keep you posted. has anyone had this conversion ? please let me know.
Old 28 October 2002, 09:38 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Question

was this a straight swap and did anything need uprating?
cheers mike
Old 28 October 2002, 11:28 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

But was it a turbo motor. All 2.2 EJ22's in the UK are single overhead cam, normally aspirated engines, if we dont count the 22B.
So using it for a turbo motor isnt really a straight swap, but could be a starting point for building a turbo engine.
Old 29 October 2002, 08:28 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Stevie,

isn't there a closed deck EJ22 from the Legacy turbo, it is different to the 22b block, different webbing...

...or is it a two litre, can't remember of the top of my head.

Trout
Old 29 October 2002, 10:13 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Legacy Turbo (UK Spec) is a 2.0Litre Turbo.
I THOUGHT it was quad-cam too? Am I wrong?
Old 29 October 2002, 05:07 PM
Scooby Regular

All UK legacy turbos are closed deck, cast pistons, EJ20 4 cam, as would Jap spec motors excluding the GTB etc. Not sure about them, as Ive never had one apart.
The Americans got a SOHC ( 2 cams ) EJ22 turbo engine, not sure what type of block open/closed
The normally aspirated 2.2's are EJ22 as fitted to normal legacys, but again, cant remember but I think they may be closed deck.
The block should useable for a turbo motor I guess, althouhg niot sure about the crank etc, again, Ive never had a N/A motor stripped.
Old 29 October 2002, 06:00 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

So the UK legacyT has a TD05 then?
Old 29 October 2002, 06:06 PM
Scooby Regular

UK legacy turbo engine comes with an IHI VF12. Imprezas have the TD05. Legacy RS Jap spec comes with a IHI VF14, and slightly more power.

TD05 is the better turbo, and is a straight swap.
Old 29 October 2002, 06:10 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Damn. I didn't know that. More money I'll need to spend.
Was hoping to go for the big 280bhp in the coming year.
Old 29 October 2002, 09:24 PM
harbering1
Scooby Regular

Get a legacy 2.2 turbo.
http://www.sdsefi.com/air17.html
Old 29 October 2002, 11:20 PM
Scooby Regular

As I said, the 2.2 turbo legacy as found in the states, is not a 4 cam engine. It only has one camshaft per cylinder head, operating the 8 valves on each head via a rockershaft and rockers. Obviously it is a much lesser performance item, so any gains by using the complete engine would probably be lost in the heads. The bottom end would however be of some use, but not sure what compression ratio you would end up with if using the std pistons with the 4 cam heads.
Old 30 October 2002, 08:59 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Talking

HI GUYS THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS . AFTER YOU GUYS ARGUEING BETWEEN YOURSELFS I WENT BACK TO THE COMPANY THAT FITTED THE ENGINE ,CHECKED EXACTLY THE BACKGROUND OF THE ENGINE. I WAS EMAILED TODAY TO BE TOLD THAT ITS FROM A HI TORQUE ESTATE LEGACY ENGINE (BSK) FROM JAPAN .THIS IS THE MOST POPULAR MODIFICATION TO EARLY IMPREZAS. THE MECHANIC THOUGHT THAT IT WAS A 2.2 BECAUSE OF THE SOUND AND HUGE DIFFRENCE IN PERFORMANCE.THE ENGINE HAS A LIGHTER FLYWHEEL AND OTHER MODIFICATION TO COPE WITH THE EXTRA WEIGHT OF THE LEGACY ESTATE.THE ECU IS FROM A STI 2 (260 HP)WHICH WAS PUT IN BY MERVIN AT POWER ENGINEERING.THE MECHANIC THAT PUT THE LEGACY ENGINE IN IS AMRICK AT SEHMBI AUTO SERVICE DERBY .THE WONDERFULL THING IS WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR IT WAS 220 - 240 BHP ADDED THE ECU, NOW THE LEGACY ENGINE HE RECKONS ITS P1 PERFORMANCE IF NOT BETTER .AMRICK HAS A PRODRIVE RALLY CAR WHICH HE RALLYS AROUND ASIA .HE IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE SUBARU MECHANIC IVE BEEN TO WELL LANE P ENGINEERING ETCETC CANT BEAT HIS KNOWLEDGE CHECK HIM OUT GUYS.GOT TO GO AND BURN RUBBER .
Old 30 October 2002, 09:03 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Talking

SORRY FORGOT TO TELL YOU TWIN TURBO ENGINE .KEPT SENSORS.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:59 PM
Scooby Regular

No offense, but Is all the info your mechanic telling you true??
I may be wrong, but all legacy turbos in the UK or Japan, be they twin or single, were 2.0 EJ20 4 cam motors. All twin turbos were 2.0 4 cam EJ20's . There would be no difference in sound between a 2.0 and a 2.2, certainly not enough that someone could tell the difference. As for perfromance...the twin turbos claim 280bhp, so performance should feel good. Most twin turbos are also automatic ( but not all ) but if manual, would not have a lightened flywheel fitted at the factory.
An STI2 ecu would also not be well suited to a twin turbo motor, as the ecu would not have the necessary controls for the twin turbo setup, also assuming the 2 engines had the same injector sizes.

If you look to the left of the alternator, between it and the power steering pump, on the top of the block will be some embossed letters cast into it. It will say EJ20 for a 2.0 block.
EJ22 for a 2.2 block, or EJ25 for a 2.5 block
Take a look to see what it says, and hopefully what I am thinking will be wrong.
Old 30 October 2002, 10:57 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

I'm with Stevie on this one: Something there just doesn't add up.
Old 30 October 2002, 11:52 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Wink

er come and see its a single turbo with a LEGACY ENGINE your welcome to drive it or just ring GRADE A SUBARU HE WILL TELL YOU HIMSELF. sorry u seem to know lot of information but not correct im afraid or ring power engineering about the convertion i think they know tiny bit about the imprezas.
Old 31 October 2002, 12:04 AM
Scooby Regular

Im sure that PE do know a tiny bit about imprezas. Others here will vouch for that... I do not know everything about them, but have done a lot of work and research myself. Not for profit, but for my own information.
When people are selling engines, suddenly their spec can become very impressive.
Either way, check the top of your block, and tell us what it says.
That will remove any uncertainty about the block that was used.
Whoever the mechanic is that can tell a 2.0 from a 2.2 just from listening to it, must be a real expert. He owns a prodrive rally car?? Lucky him. Wish I had the money to rally all over the world. He must make a lot of profit working and changing subaru engines to pay for that....lol
Either way, while a 2.2 would be a good upgrade, I doubt that the performance increase from this alone would be described as HUGE. worthwile and noticeable yes, but HUGE...no.

As I said, I may be wrong.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 10/31/2002 12:12:36 AM]
Old 31 October 2002, 12:22 AM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

i saw the complete engine twin turbo water cooled with tag 26km
bsk it looked virtually brand new.im not a mechanic either steve
email me and ill call you.the only problem i had with the car is a very short flat spot in second gear on full throttle i emailed pete croney about it . it was down to 95 ron i had it , put optimax in it even better smoother quicker responce the only way to describe it as mental.grade a subaru told me to get one 3yrs ago
i can see why now. if you did not know grade a are subaru dismantlers i dont know there number but he does have the engines in very often.
Old 08 December 2002, 10:11 PM
harbering1
Scooby Regular

look here you can make a monster setup ej22t.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275816&perpage=25&highl ight=ej22&pagenumber=1
Old 09 December 2002, 01:35 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

thomo,

you will find that there are several people on here that know a lot more than the people you are relying on for your facts.

sorry to burst your bubble.

You start this thread by saying we shouldnt waste money on other mods when you can just throw a 2.2 in.

Sorry but you cant just throw a 2.2 in. Someone someone is misleading you. A 2.2 is obviously bigger than a 2.0 and as such needs more fuel. This means you need a modded ecu anyway. You cant simply plug in an sti 2 ecu as it is intended to supply fuel for a 2.0 engine. You also cannot use the legacy ecu as standard because the B4 RSK is a later model car and the loom would be incompatible with the chassis loom in your car.

In short there are some serious holes in your information which if I were you I would want to know about. Specifically what turbo is being used, and whether it is twin turbo or not as the RSK is, but you say yours isnt.

This means the ecu will not have the correct map for the turbo you are running also.

Stevie, just a quick note to say that the legacy turbo that pat has just bought does not have a closed deck block.
Old 09 December 2002, 01:45 AM
Scooby Regular

Interesting...I wonder if it is the original motor in it?? Id have thought that all legacy turbos ( single anyway ) would have been closed decks, as they were all manufactured before the open deck was around. Most early imprezas should be closed too. I thought the open deck only appeared after 95.

But agree, that the 2.2 conversion mentioned above, does sound like bull****. Just not sure where it is actually coming from.
Old 09 December 2002, 02:38 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Stevie T,

ROFLOL...you know why

The 2.2lt Legacy turbo was never officially imported into the UK. Of course some could have found their way here.

Most of the 2.2lt Legacy's in the UK are N/A with open deck blocks.

THOMO, you're right, it's silly for us to argue over just what ebgine you have. All you have to do, is look at what your engine says on it !!!!

So first of all, does your engne say EJ20, or EJ22 ?

Regardless of what it says, if you're happy, who cares.......

Mark.
Old 09 December 2002, 09:14 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Wink

THIS IS A INTERESTING TOPIC .BY SIGHT THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN TELL THATS ITS A LEGACY ENGINE BY THE TWO NUTS ON THE COIL COVERS WHERE IMPREZAS HAVE ONE.ANYWAY I WILL BE AT JOHN NOBLE MOTORSPORT CHESTERFIELD 13TH FRIDAY MORNING IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO POP DOWN . IM INTERESTED TO FIND OUT THE WHAT POWER ITS PRODUCING. ALL WILL BE REVEILED ILL KEEP YOU POSTED. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS.CENTRAL SUBARU WILLENHALL WOLVERHAMPTON DO PLENTY OF LEGACY CONVERSIONS HE HAS A FEW IN IF YOUR INTERESTED.
Old 09 December 2002, 09:22 PM
Scooby Regular

Wonder what compression ratio you have, with old legacy heads, and unknown block/piston combination??? I also asked what it said on the block, but got no response.
Old 09 December 2002, 11:55 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

HI STEVE I COULDNT TELL YOU .WHAT EVER IT IS IM VERY HAPPY INDEED
Old 10 December 2002, 12:01 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Thomo.... FFS take the bloody caps lock off. Your givin' me a headache .

Tony.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:58 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hear Hear Tone.

It's the key just above the shift key on the left
C'mon Thomo, you have us all in suspense here! Tell us what it says on your block (I'm still I'm still Jenny from the block) or better still.....pictures We always love pictures!

C'mon....if you have the engine you say you have (and I do not disbelieve you!) then everyone here wants to see it so we can see how it was done

Old 10 December 2002, 10:10 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

How it was done?

its the same engine as any impreza but with a large bore and possibly the same heads.

It just fits in in the same way as any other ej engine and apart froms saying ej22 instead of ej25 is pretty much indistinguishable!

does it really matter? I would be more concerned about trying to extract anything useful from thomo when he doesnt know how to read the latters on the block.
Old 10 December 2002, 10:13 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Arrow

-nudges adam- psssssst......was being diplomatic.

I know they all just drop in, but I wanna see piccies!

Quick Reply: 2.2 legacy convertion to a wrx impreza