Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Intercooler question.

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2002, 08:21 PM
rob588
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Firstly i'm not really in to car engines so please bare with me when I try and explain the problem that I have got with the Scoob!!!.

When looking under the bonnet there is a 2" diameter pipe that goes from what I think is the intercooler (the thing that looks like a radiator on top of the engine) to what I think is the Turbo. Where the pipe joins the intercooler there seems to be oil leaking slightly. I have taken the car to my local Subaru garage, and have been told that the intercooler needs to be removed, cleaned out and replaced. I then need to run the car for a couple of weeks and see if the problem returns.

I have been told that if the problem does return it could be the there is a problem with the seals on the turbo.........which could need replacing!!.

The car had done 25000 miles and still has a year left on the warrenty. As I said it is a VERY SLIGHT LEAK however, it is still concerning.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Cheers.

PS The car has a turbo timer fitted and is serviced as Subaru states, every 7500 miles.
Old 21 October 2002, 08:34 AM
rroberrto
Scooby Regular

hi,

just took my intercooler (MY00, 45000 miles) off for a good and thorough cleaning of the inside fins, and believe it or not there are thick layers of oil/gunk covering the entire length of the intake tract (pipe from turbo, intercooler all the way to the throttle body, and possibly the manifold too?), took 1.5 hrs and half can of 3m degreaser to finish the job.

And the first thing i did after refitting the intercooler was to disconnect all those PCV pipes from the inlet and vent them to atmo thru filter and tape off the bungs on the inlet pipe. Sort of a poor man's oil catch tank you could say, without the fancy chrome-shine but effective just the same.

Robert
Old 21 October 2002, 11:19 AM
rob588
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate,

Sounds exactly the same as mine, do you think its a problem with the turbo seals?

Any other thoughts from anyone else?

Cheers

Rob.