Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tuning parts for Legacy 1.8 FWD

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2002, 02:58 PM
Blacky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I get tuning parts for the above???
Old 13 October 2002, 03:01 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I don't think you do - other than anything that will fit from the Legacy Trubo - wheels, suspension, brakes, maybe part of exhaust.

Probably a freer flowing air filter for 1.8 Carb or injection ?

Old 14 October 2002, 12:05 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

I used to own a 4wd 1.8 and pretty much all I could find was a K&N replacement element. I did get a custom made exhaust manifold which did make a big difference. Back box from a turbo will fit but with a normally aspirated car this'll lose low-mid torque. Is yours a carb or injection?
Old 15 October 2002, 10:29 PM
Blacky
Scooby Newbie

It has a carb infortunately! I couldnt find an aftermarket airfilter and I ended up going to Powerflow to get a stainless steel rear box made for it, woulda went for a full system but the boss woman wouldnt allow it!! But I ended up with a 4" Blitz style tailpipe and a healthy little note!! I also bought a set of 2nd hand 16" alloys previously fitted to an Impreza WRX which are tasty lookin!! As far as suspension is concerned would the turbo/4x4 suspension fit the FWD?? with the rear not havin the same stub axles on account of havin no drive to them, surely they wouldnt??

[Edited by Blacky - 10/15/2002 10:31:03 PM]

[Edited by Blacky - 10/15/2002 10:33:19 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 10:23 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Suspension from a turbo would be fine except if you get 2nd hand original ones from a breakers chances are they'd be quite tired since the turbo cars are getting quite old themselves. Impreza struts also fit but the springs are different and have different top spring cups. However, you could use your existing top cups with Impreza struts. Springs are avilable from PI and Spax (specific for Legacy) and more manufacturers if you happen to have a saloon instead of estate. Good price too. I'd suggest getting some struts from a circa 99 Impreza and springs from Spax. This is the set up I'm running at the mo and I find it quite satisfactory. It's a firmish but supple set up and not so firm as to knock your fillings out - very economical as well.

I used to have a 4wd 1.8GL estate (carb) on which I had probably the same 16" wheels as you. K&N do a replacement filter for about 40 quid which was pretty good. If you change the oil and sparks regularly then you can maintain a half decent bit of poke from the engine (but it'll never really be anything to write home about).

Exhuast side I found with my old 1.8 that the biggest difference was getting the custom made manifold. It's not a complex piece like the turbo - more like a bent Y shape - cost me 300 quid from London Stainless (I think they're also known as Quicksilver Exhausts).

Do you find that you have problems running really rich during warm up - and if you switch the engine off during this time it can be really hard to start again? Don't know if you know but there's a little one way valve (I think they call it a delay valve or somink) which you can see on the left side under the air intake cover beside the carb. Changing this made the car behave almost like new again! I also ran Redex through the carb once which did clean it out quite a bit and the car was less asthmatic afterward. However, if you do this don't put too much through in one go like I did once - ended up doing Batmobile impressions on the way to work, surprised the police didn't stop me!

[Edited by NutterKam - 10/16/2002 10:24:25 AM]

[Edited by NutterKam - 10/16/2002 10:26:05 AM]
Old 16 October 2002, 07:04 PM
Blacky
Scooby Newbie

The wheels are the 6 spoke design, if thats the same as you, and yes the car behaves exactly the way you described on warm up!!

so, can you remember what side this thingy is or how much it cost to replace??

and the 'prezza springs and struts definitely fit, even with my car bein FWD only?

oh yeah, it is the saloon model!!

where did you get the air filter from? was it a panel element?

[Edited by Blacky - 10/16/2002 7:05:12 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 07:31 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Yes It was a panel replacement. I got it from a retailer which is no longer in business but any respectable K&N reseller will be able to source this for you - K&N part#33-2615 but verify first.

The valve thingy I spoke of is about 20-25 quid if I remember correctly. It is located where I described before. However, I can't remember for sure if it's on the left side - been a while since I replaced this car.

The shocks shouldn't matter if you've got 4wd or fwd (unless Subaru had done something really strange). Impreza springs will work although the Legacy saloon is still a little heavier than it's smaller brother so expect a bit of sponginess and sitting lower.
Old 16 October 2002, 08:12 PM
Blacky
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I dont mind the sitting lower part!!