Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gutted (piston 4 cracked maybe!)

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2002, 06:48 PM
AndrewSTI-V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
went out to my car this morning and it was making a really loud noise when cold, wasnt as bad when it heated up but i hadnt heard it before, took the car to 2 Subaru garages who werent really that helpful. They were trying to fob me off because its an import. The outcome was they wont look at it for another fortnight and they reckon its either piston no. 4 or maybe the idler pulleys. Took the car to another garage i know is good with boxer engines and he seems certain the piston is cracked, though the car is still running on 4 cylinders.
I only bought the car 7 days ago :-( Ive got 6months warranty but i dont know whether it will cover this work or not, do i have come back on the garage i bought the car from? any views?
Old 08 October 2002, 07:11 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Take it back ASAP..... thats why you got a warranty...

Dan
Old 08 October 2002, 07:13 PM
AndrewSTI-V
Scooby Regular

the warranty is from a warranty company not the the garage and i dont wont to do more damage by driving the car 200 miles back to the garage
Old 08 October 2002, 07:21 PM
S55DRJ
Scooby Regular

Phone the dealer you bought it from, if it is a reputable warranty company, you should be able to take it to a local garage, that will have to seek authoriseation from the warranty company for a go ahead for the work. they bill the warranty firm, and hey presto. Its just like an insurance company when you have a bump. asap tho. only problem you may encounter, all depends on the level of the warranty, it may only cover a certain amount of the repair cost, you then have to take it up with the dealer for the remainder.... they wont want a bad name now would they!
Old 11 October 2002, 10:21 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

If its a reputable dealer take the car back today m8! I wouldnt even want to get the piston replaced! I would just demand my money back and get the car from elsewhere. You are within your rights so dont get fobbed off. If you do get your money back get an import directly from Japan so you know no one has been ragging it around on 95RON!

Cheers

Gez
Old 11 October 2002, 10:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Andrew,
IM and Subaru will not touch imports, simple as that....
What you need to do is find a speciallist, you dont say which region your from so that makes it a little difficult though

Tony
Old 11 October 2002, 01:34 PM
AndrewSTI-V
Scooby Regular

Subaru are going to look at the problem on tuesday, the garage is still fobing me off, he told me yesterday that the car has cosworth 0.25 forged and pocketed pistons. The reason the car has these is because he melted a piston before because he was running on 95RON. He got these pistons fitted and the timing an fueling checked then done 2k miles and sold the car onto me. I asked at the the time if there was any major repairs or modifications and his reply was NO.
Ive spoke to my lawyer and trading standards but im not really getting anywhere, so the car goes to Subaru in Ayr (scotland) this tuesday and they are going to diagnos the fault for me, then i can get back to trading standards.
Im so pissed off....
Old 13 October 2002, 08:30 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you contact the dealer you got it from brfore you do anthing else with it.
Also there is some sort of law about being able to take a vehicle back within a certain amount of time, if deemed unfit for purpose.

If the dealer has any sort of impact with the Warranty company then they should be able to sort it.

Don't do what I done with a Cowsorth... the cam belt went and I had to have the head fully rebuilt at my own expense. Only to find out later that the dealer would of sorted it via the warranty company for free.
Old 13 October 2002, 09:36 PM
WRXKM
Scooby Regular

Legally wherever you buy a the car from has to repair or replace as long as its within 28 days of purchase..

Most warrentys like a company called MB&G actually state in warrenty booklet that it is garages responsibility to sort within first 28 days
Claim still comes from warrenty company but garage has to sort everything for the customer..

Keep on their backs mate

Kev
Old 14 October 2002, 06:08 PM
AndrewSTI-V
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, thats who my warranty is with, MB&G! Im going to phone them in the morning.