Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ITG Filters (again) caution!

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2002, 05:26 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Having read previous threads on the benifit of fitting a ITG air filter I also fitted one in preference to the K&N type that had been known in a few cases to be the cause of MAF failure. Recently there was a thread with regard to MAF failure using an ITG filter and that the sensor was covered in green slime.
I decided to check mine, (fitted 1000 miles previously) just in case.
I was horrified to find the interier of the filter housing covered in the green gunge. So much had leaked from the filter itself that it had "puddled", (about a teaspoon) in the bottom of the housing. I`m sure in warmer weather and given enough time this coating would have eventually found it`s way onto the MAF sensor. Needless to say I would sooner be "on the safe side" and for the sake of one or two bhp I have decided to remove the ITG and replace it with the original paper type.....Be Warned..
Bob
Old 08 October 2002, 06:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The area you talk about (the filter box) is the outside world side of the filter... which is where the green gunge drips due to gravity.. the green gunge is only on the outside world side of the filter and is there to stop dust particules passing through the tiny tiny holes in the filter..

If you read the instructions which came with the filter it says that excess green gunge can be wiped off periodically taking with it the dust..

This does not neccessarraly mean that the green gunge is passing through the filter and into the air intake and therefore coating the MAF...

Not that this means it hasn't or wasn't coating the MAF but what you describe is perfectly normal and you are associating it with MAF failure wrongly IMHO..

I am not saying that the ITG doesn't cause MAF failures as I don't know if that is the case, just that what you describe does not mean that it will.

I will have to check my airbox/maf

JGM
Old 08 October 2002, 06:38 PM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

Have ran ITG with resonator removed and cold air feed for a year now without any problems.

Yes, a regular check and clean helps.
Old 08 October 2002, 06:56 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bear in mind that completely standard cars MAF's go too so the fact that you have an AM filter/pod is still not conclusive proof that it was caused by that part.

Matt
Old 08 October 2002, 07:13 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I couldn't agree more Matt. However, as I posted on another thread, some dealers are no refusing to replace MAF sensors under warranty unless your running a standard filter.

Before someone suggests it, I think the condition of the filter would be a giveaway if you replaced it after MAF failure. Although if you kept your old one you might get away with it.

Josh
Old 08 October 2002, 10:51 PM
TUR80
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I noticed exactly the same thing the other day with my ITG and was also horrified. Hadn't the time to do anything at the time so I just bunged it all back but I think JGM is right, the gunge was only on the outer side of the filter so shouldn't be a prob. I'll check it properly at the weekend and post if this thread is still around.
Old 08 October 2002, 11:20 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Been reading these ITG posts and thought I would check mine out.

Yes there was a very small amount of goo in the bottom corner of the airbox, but not on the engine side of the filter. The filter itself had the sticky stuff on the "air in" side as it should do to help it do its job, but was 100% clear on the engine side, in fact it looked almost new. I check the MAF and pipework etc and NO signs of contamination at all!

I am 100% happy with my ITG filter and will continue to use it.

For the record, the filter was fitted 6months ago and has covered just over 12000 trouble free miles including track days.

The goo in the airbox

NO goo here

Pipework clear

Engine Side of ITG CLEAR

Air in / Goo side of ITG collecting all the cr@p

Gave it a quick wipe then re fitted it.

BOB

[Edited by WRXBOB - 10/8/2002 11:49:39 PM]
Old 08 October 2002, 11:26 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

ACTIVE (BOB)

If your not going to use your ITG filter any more I'll give you a tenner for it. Being serious, if you dont want to use the ITG I will happily pay you £10 for it. The amount of **** it has collected in 12k miles I will change it every 24k. You only live down the road from me so I can pick it up anytime you like.

BOB (the other one)
Old 08 October 2002, 11:54 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used an ITG filter with a my01 WRX for 26000 miles with no problems.

It did have the green goo in a corner of the air box, but it was on the 'dirty' air end.

Is anyone running one with a STi7?
Old 09 October 2002, 12:43 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Ive got one running in my Sti v7 at the moment no problems so far about 2000 miles

Cheers hawkeye
Old 09 October 2002, 05:50 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Well.... I`ve read these threads with interest. On reflection I think I was wrong to panic. Fanatic about my motor is my excuse LOL. I think the argument that you all give is valid as the engine side of the filter box was quite clear of any gunge.
I have looked at the inner box and duct to the MAF and as you all say it`s quite clean, I shall replace the ITG.
Thanks for the offer Bob! nice photo`s by the way, explains it all.... Bob (W)
Old 09 October 2002, 09:16 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Each to their own then...

Maybe it's just the weather up here in Scotland that (as I will repeat for about the 1000th time) caused me to find the infamous green gunk ON THE SENSOR ITSELF....oh, and that's the gravity defying green gunk by the way!

Good luck ITG lovers, enjoy your extra 2bhp and tiny increase in mid range urge and....... happy MAF buying.....group buy anyone?? heh heh
Old 09 October 2002, 09:27 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I would just like to add a thank you to SiPie/Active for highlighting the problem with his ITG / MAF as it has been thought that the ITG was 100% safe. It just means I shall be careful and check the engine side of the filter... which I probably wouldn't have bothered doing before.

Just no point panicing when seeing the normal goo in the airbox.

JGM
Old 09 October 2002, 09:30 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

10000 miles and no probs.

David
Old 09 October 2002, 09:36 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had one fitted on my MY00 for about 24,000miles with no problems. I too found a load of gunk in the airbox but, as has been said above, it was on the "dirty" side.

One thing that might be worth checking is that the filter is correctly seated in the airbox. It's a piece of wee wee to fit in my P1 but for some reason was a real bitch to fit to my MY00 ??? I think it might be possible to fit it such that there is a gap around the edge of the filter (at the "bottom" end of the airbox) and still close the airbox lid. I managed this on one occasion

This could, I guess, lead to gunk being drawn up the side of the filter onto the MAF? Worth checking I suppose
Old 09 October 2002, 09:55 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

The fitting of the ITG, as SimonH points out, is where any potential problem can occur.
If any of the goo has found its way to the MAF it is down to poor fitting and NOT a fault with the ITG filter!

If you fit a new set of alloys and a few miles later a wheel falls off because you have failed to tighten the nuts, would you complain the alloy wheel caused the problem? NO, exactly!

BOB
Old 09 October 2002, 12:12 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mine was fitted 100% and I know as i struggled as it was a very tight fit and took ages to get it spot on.....

'WRX Bob.....

Do you have shares in ITG or something'???
Old 09 October 2002, 12:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I had one for 10000 miles no issues with no goo issues at all either side. Now have an induction kit so dicing with MAF death daily. APS seems OK though so far. It is well damped for vibration even if not setup for good readings.
Old 09 October 2002, 02:09 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Active/Bob

I'd like to see the thread/evidence for this statement:

"I also fitted one in preference to the K&N type that had been known in a few cases to be the cause of MAF failure"

I do not remember seeing any threads that reported K+N problems.

F
Old 09 October 2002, 02:13 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd say that's bordering on libellous - I know of no failures resulting from using K&N induction or panel filters... Careful
Old 09 October 2002, 04:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Come on Chiark...

If it's something that Subaru dealers are quoting then why oh why can't it be mentioned on here.....

A bit of slack surely.....

Old 09 October 2002, 07:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

There was a thread on here with a failure (and failed engine as a result IIRC) from a K&N 57i.
Old 10 October 2002, 12:43 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

But it wasn't a panel filter John!

The 57i could have been fitted incorrectly and my be a one off. The others have been in the 'press' too often to ingnore a link to failures IMHO.

F
Old 10 October 2002, 02:26 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Floyd

Either the K&N or the Pipercross I fitted to my previous A4 Quattro caused AMS (MAF) failure which was not covered under warranty. I learnt my lesson and am staying with std paper stuff now I'm back on Subarus !

I say I'm not sure which filter caused the failure because the Audi was so refined in reigning back the power that I didn't know until I took it in for a re-chip. A couple of weeks before, I'd changed the K&N which at 18,000m was absolutely filthy (I expected it to last 30k) for the Pipercross, so who knows.

On a Subaru it's not worth bothering IMHO for 5bhp against 200+

[Edited by Flat 4x4 - 10/10/2002 2:27:29 PM]
Old 10 October 2002, 02:36 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

I have just done 30000 miles on my first ITG with no problems.
I have just replaced it with another and I did notice there was a lot less sticky goo on the new one. When I fitted the first one there was lots of green stuff in the bag contain the filter and quite a lot of residue on the foam. Perhaps they are cutting down on the goo just in case it does affect MAFs. Mine is a MY98 so it does have the less fragile MAF.
One thing I did notice was the improved performance with the new ITG. I thought that there was supposed to be little or no reduction in air flow with more miles coverered!

Stuart
Old 10 October 2002, 02:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Floyd, I was replying to Chiark. Not heard of any engine failures related to a panel filter.
Old 10 October 2002, 03:33 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I've just checked our records and to date, we have sold 3761 ITG filters. They are also sold by TSL, JW Racing and Scoobyworld, so there's quite a few out there.

I would imagine that the combined total is probably as many as every other type of filter, cone or panel, put together.

I know of many MAF failures that have occured using the standard paper panel filter. Two of which lead to a certain demo car requiring new engines.

This thread has one poster saying he saw some green polymer on his MAF. As I only know of 3 MAF failures using an ITG and know of 11 from using the OE filter, I would say that this filter can be regarded as completely safe and would add that some MAFs will fail whatever filter is used.
Old 10 October 2002, 05:22 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Well said Pete. Sounds like this months "scare"
Things on cars break, that's the nature of the beast. I knackered a rear wheel bearing on mine last year. Could have blamed it on the new tyres but it was probably more to do with spinning the car on a track day at croft a month earlier

I have an ITG filter as these have always been recommended. No gunk in the air box but a definate change in response, enough even for my mate to notice before I told him I'd fitted it. (the paper one was a bit gunked up though)

I'll leave mine in and see what happens
Old 10 October 2002, 05:30 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Question

Pete, just a point, how many failures were on early cars as opposed to 99/00 ones with the different MAF?

SiPie, what model do you have? The filter is the same code for all classic shape cars and mine was very easy to fit (MY93wrx) is there a difference in air box design between the various models that could have something to do with it???? Just a thought

[Edited by Charlie H - 10/10/2002 5:36:49 PM]
Old 10 October 2002, 05:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

There's certainly no reason with SiPie shouldn't post that the ITG filter caused his MAF failure, but there's a big difference if it's put across that fitting an ITG *will* cause the MAF to fail.

If you change any part of the car you must introduce some risk and uncertainty. People should just present the facts and through the normal Q&A process gather as much info as possible and make their own decisions after assessing the risks.

I've ran my ITG for the past 5,000 miles and haven't had any bother with it. It's obviously covered in green gunk, which in theory could get sucked up into the MAF. Given the MAF is very sensitive, I do make a point of checking the air-filter to make sure there isn't anything on the clean side that could cause any damage. But, I'd do this with an OEM paper filter too.

SiPie has either been unlucky, the ITG wasn't fitted properly or the filter simply failed for some reason.

As Pete said, if he's sold almost 4000 of them and only knows of a handful of failures, then that's a pretty good success rate.

Stefan

Quick Reply: ITG Filters (again) caution!