Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

chipping

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2002, 09:05 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok with a bog standard new age imp.... what type of chip would be good (ie power and safety wise) ps where can i get it done..yorkshire area thx
Old 07 October 2002, 09:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Chipping isn't the first thing you should look at.

Most common route is to get the breathing sorted out. The standard scoob map is terribly rich, which means you can ease the breathing without leaning the mix.

Back box does not a lot, but gives you a nice sound. Downpipe is definitely worthwhile on the new age, as is up-pipe, as you'll lose a cat in each by removing those. (Note: your check engine light will light up if you do this, because there's a sensor which checks the cats are working. Scoobysport (and others probably) sell a box of tricks that fiddles the sensor into thinking all is well)

After that, maybe an induction kit such as K&N?

Upping the boost a tad is a good idea, too. A Dawes device gives you better throttle response and the ability to turn up your boost, but BEWARE as this can lead to troubles with the cats in the new age. So remove the cats before doing this

Front mount intercooler will give you the options to run more boost, then maybe replace the turbo. Chip is necessary at this point

Old 07 October 2002, 07:33 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

IMHO I would chip it a bit earlier - e.g. immediately after the exhaust. I have been out in the power engineering demonstrator - decat uppipe, full sports cat exhaust system, K&N panel filter and ECUTEK remap. 283bhp on SUL on the rollers, and goes very nicely thank you on standard intercooler etc. This is roughly the route I will shortly take with my MY02.

The ECUTEK is - for mildly modded cars - a good chip as it only involves remapping the existing ECU. For fancy stuff, Link, MoTec and several others seem to have more potential. The likes of John Banks, Bob Rawle etc will be able to give you much more expert advice on ECUs than I ever could.
Old 07 October 2002, 08:38 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Unless you remove the up-pipe cat, I wouldn't change the induction kit, unless it's just to a K&N panel filter or similar. Some of the induction kits make the car run very lean. One kit (very famous Jap brand) even has the wrong internal diameter pipe (too large) into which the air flow meter is mounted - this makes the car run lean everywhere - you risk burning up the cat, destroying your turbo in the process.

Steve