Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

CV joints / front diff damaged by track work?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2002, 02:52 PM
naishou
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I recently noticed a click or clunk noise from the front of my MY00 that occurs when the torque through the driveline is reversed. That is transition from acceleration to engine braking and vice-versa. It's a single noise that sounds to me like loose gears. It's possible to reproduce it by stabbing the throttle gentle while driving along or by sitting with the car stationary having decelerated in gear, then release the clutch to the point of friction.

I jacked up one wheel and put the car in gear, then tried to rotate the wheel that was off the ground. When I did this there was a clunk from inside the front diff housing and another noise from the LHS outer CV joint. Both inner CV joints (if that's what they are called on that end, near the diff) seem to have a lot of play in them too. I can actually move them up and down by hand.

To what extent is this kind of thing normal and if it's not, is it likely that it has been caused by driving on a racetrack? I've done a fair few track days and use R compound rubber and a heavy foot though the car has only done under 30,000km. It certainly seems to put a lot of stress through the front end on change of direction and coming out of slow corners, especially if I hit a kerb.

[Edited by naishou - 9/20/2002 3:01:31 PM]
Old 21 September 2002, 01:07 AM
naishou
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTT

Anyone?