Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sti 7 rear diff problems

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2002, 04:54 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any other owners experience , well its difficult to explain . But if you can imagine 2 gears meshing togeather , now imagine one is the wrong size ie. the gaps the teeth are set at will not allow them to mesh for long till the one will climb out of the other . Sounds like I am trying to answer my question before I ask it !

The symptom is noticed at low speed or when rolling off stand still forward or backward - less noticable as speed rises . So read very slow . It seems to me as if the rear of the car rises slightly and I can hear a slight knock as motion begins .

As stated its at the rear and I guess its the diff or I suppose side shaft ?

I know I could go to a dealer but want to avoid the pain of explaining something that may not happen then ......

Any idea's . I may check rear diff oil . Would Castrol Syntrax be good . Thanks for helping .

Ray
Old 11 September 2002, 05:46 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Ray

Why don't you post this on saiog?

You sure it's not just the well documented STi7 "suspension" knocking setting on? The car definitely "rises" when you pull off...? A brakepad is not perhaps touching the disc? Does this always happen or only when you've had your handbrake on for a while?
Old 11 September 2002, 07:24 AM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Bruce ,

You may be right . I wasnt aware of this problem . Thanks for your input . Maybe I will go past Subaru Pta and get Jaque to check it out then . Didnt want to over react to start with and was monitoring its "progress" . I figured with more Sti 7 owners here I would get a a more conclusive response . Interesting it came from SA after all . Thankyou .

Ray