Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Ram air filter - approved or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2002, 12:12 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

I just put a deposit down on an MY00 turbo this weekend and the salesrep advised the car has a RAM panel air filter fitted and is OK for warranty as they approve/supply these. Can anyone confirm if this is true as I dont fancy coming unstuck later if non related engine issues should arise in the future and they get funny about the filter.

Also, the car has a prodrive exhaust - or backbox at least - and says P1 on the tailpipe as opposed WR sport as Ive seen on others... presume this is from a p1 ( doh! ) but is this still ok under warranty being a prodrive part.

new owner paranoia aside...what sort of performance gains would these two parts provide on an otherwise standard turbo.

many thanks
Rich
Old 09 September 2002, 12:42 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Prodrive used RAM Air filters as part of the PPP on the phase 1 engines (up to MY 97 or 98 I think...)

I had a RAM air filter on my car when I bought it. When it needed cleaning and repriming, I temporarily replaced it with a paper filter (as I couldn't get hold of the cleaners etc.) Since then, I haven't put the filter back on, as I couldn't tell any difference! (Apart from the MAF sensor staying cleaner...) This was the only "performance" mod on the car though. When I get the thing cleaned and sorted out, I may try it again.