Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Very very sorry .. DP and wife question ..

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2002, 01:04 PM
HamishTheWagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Thought the title may get more responses

Major apologies for another DP question. I searched the archives on here but the results seem to be inconclusive.

Time to think about a downpipe, either Magnex (cheaper) or Scoobysport (more expensive).

I have been told that the SS will give more low down torque than Magnex .. and is noisier. I know that there are different designs (twin dump, single large opening) but will I honestly notice any difference between the 2 mentioned ????

Also, noise, I already have a SS BB I take it I will get different noises but I don't want just an increase in cabin sound.

Ask yourself this, would the wife/partner, in normal driving, pootling around up to 3.5K notice you had a downpipe fitted ? And if so how ? (Noisewise that is, not just 'Your going a bit quicker than normal dear' )

Sorry for another DP question and thanks in advance.
HamishTheWagon
Old 02 September 2002, 01:05 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

won't notice a thing
Old 02 September 2002, 01:12 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
she won't notice speed persay, but it will be easier to drive, she might notice an improvement in smoothness, which can only be good.

Paul
Old 02 September 2002, 01:17 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

There's a big increase in cabin drone.
So get new headers at the same time
Old 02 September 2002, 01:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a resonated centre section if you are decatting that and soundproof the boot floor of the wagon. Even some underlay under the "carpet" makes big difference.
Old 02 September 2002, 01:31 PM
HamishTheWagon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks John .. (I used to be Doofus on here .. you swapped my MY00 for an My99 ECU )

I have no plans for a decat centre (well at present ).

I already have an extra layer of carpet underlay in the boot AND have covered it in some Noise Acoustics placcy, silver metal coated type stuff

As I said at the mo. I'm happy with the noise level. I take it that most of the noise comes from the BB and a DP will not make a awful lot of difference?

Any ideas about the SS/Magnex comparison, anybody have heard/had both on and can compare them?

Ta,
Hamish The Wagon.
Old 02 September 2002, 01:36 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Ive a s/sport rear box with Magnex twin dump front pipe and center section straight through with no resonator and it sounds lovely.Not madly loud to the point that its too offensive but you can hear it coming.The cabin noise isnt offensive either round town or motorway,the downpipe was as noticable as when the center was put on with it,dont ask me why but with the two it goes excellent.
Gene

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2002, 03:07 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

There has been mention on several occasions that Magnex DP doesn't always go on correctly - would be good if those who've had bad experiences post.
Old 02 September 2002, 08:24 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Wink

Let's be honest... it will be noisier with either DP.

I have the SS BB, Magnex baffled centre and SS DP, fitted in that order. The DP increases cabin noise under load and you will notice it. Once cruising, the increase is much less but still noticable.

You'll enjoy the results though...

Jon
Old 02 September 2002, 08:56 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I have heard that the quietist DP is the BPM one. Not sure why, it just is . It's a twin dump, btw, with the wastegate output meeting the main flow a long way down - which is technically the best place to put it.
Old 02 September 2002, 09:01 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

My car with full decat can be quiet around town if you want it to be. And very loud on WOT above 3k rpm

Oh and you will notice the turbo spooling up and that makes quite a noise. In fairness though your misses might like the sound. Most do Just fit the DP and tell her you removed a restrictor or something I really don't think decatting the centre section adds noise or power

Cheers Phill C
Old 03 September 2002, 08:44 AM
HamishTheWagon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps ... actually the wife is quite happy for me to fit the downpipe .. quote 'you and that bloody car of yours'

It was an attempt to gauge noise levels, basically a slight increase in noise is fine when I have the wife/baby in the car .. I'm hardly ever over 3.5K.

However on my own I'n not fussed if all hell breaks loose with WOT above 3.5K

It's primarily to gain a faster spool up and acheive full boost about 500-1000 revs below what it is just now.

Thanks,
Hamish The Wagon.
Old 03 September 2002, 01:07 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Hamish and all,

Another thing to consider, can't remember which thread it was now, but Scoobysport do fit lagging if you want them to. This apparently keeps the noise increase to a bare minimum (some say adding a decat DP makes not a great deal of difference anyway) so if's lagged then this will probably reduce it to a negligible amount.

I'm gonna add lagging when I get mine done, mainly cos it sounds decent enough at the mo with a TSL BB and SS Mid and I do a fair bit of motorway driving...

Also lagging helps retain the heat to within the exhaust so surrounding components like the turbo, don't get the heat. Not sure of the details of this i.e. will the turbo run cooler than with a catted pipe, but it will run cooler than a decat version.

Anyway hope this helps

Cheers
Alex