Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2002 2.0L WRX Stock turbo in a 95 2.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 08:42 PM
craigerparty
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 20 years old and my father, a 50 year old suburu fanatic has recently decided to upgrade his 2002 wrx with a new turbo, up-pipe, exhaust, injectors, intercooler, blow off valve, etc... My question is If I were to decide to purchase..say a 1995 impreza 2.2L, Would all the old parts from his 2002 fit on to the 95 impreza relatively easily. also, would the 1995 impreza require an upgraded computer or any other upgraded components to compensate for the extra boost the WRX's turbo would provide?
Old 27 August 2002, 09:19 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds viable.

You would need an ECU, a Link would do nicely I think. You might get away with a 95 wrx ecu (possibly get one from a breakers in UK, maybe Canada) but it would need a little tweaking I think due to injector sizes, 2.2 vs 2 litre etc.

You would need a set of exhaust headers, I am guessing your father retained his. I might be wrong here infact, you might get away with the uppipe.

You would need to modify the fuel rails to accept the new injectors.

Exhaust system parts, downpipe in paticular, the rest could be adapted.

You would need a new MAP (pressure) sensor suitable for reading positive pressure, get with Link ecu.

You would need a boost solenoid to control turbo, although a mechanical boost controller would do fine, like a TurboXS one.

Possibly need an uprated clutch, try the standard one and see!

Need to do something with the heads, pistons or gasket to lower the compression ratio. You might get away with running low boost, say 8psi, and running a thicker gasket. WRX is about 8.0:1.

Intercooler would fit with a little adaption.

Turbo would be good for about 280-290 crank hp, your larger displacement would mean low pressure, higher flow, rather than trying to spin the nuts of the turbo. Low boost really determined by how lowe you can get the compression ratio. Below 9:1 would be fine for low boost. You would have to ask around to see what a safe limit would be for the hp, as dictated by engine internals, but I think 220hp would be no problem, and make a quicker car than a standard 2002 wrx, with better throttle response and low down torque.

Gearbox is probably fine.

Radiator I don't know, they probably fit the same one, just compare size for peace of mind.

Should get away without a dumpvalve if one is not available, TD04 turbo is sleeve bearing, and should be fine without unless you are planning to do 100000 miles any time soon.

You might need to do some thing to raise the inlet manifold to run the turbo inlet under it. You can cut some spacers about 3/4" thick, and relocate the water resevoir.

Sounds like a lot, but probably isn't too bad in reality. Expensive bit would be a link ecu. I think you could do it with a wrx ecu, but you don't have the control over it I think you will need.

Paul

Old 27 August 2002, 09:45 PM
craigerparty
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

thanks so much for your helpful response.

As part of this project i was planning on buying a higher mileage impreza and rebuilding the motor. as long as the motor would be apart, what sort of modifications to the heads/pistons/gaskets would you recommend to lower the compression ratio other than a thicker gasket if any?
Old 27 August 2002, 10:40 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really couldn't say about the compression. You'll need to find out the current gasket thickness and compression ratio for a start.

Depends if you want to go for lots of power.

The 2.2 motor doesn't get much use out here in the uk, we've had turbo'd 2.0 motors for ages. Although one of the early Legacys had a 2.2 turbo engine, with about 170hp.

Have a look at the "aftermarket forced induction" on I-club www.i-club.com as a good place to start.

Paul