Does the car have a problem...?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 12:27 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

... or is it just me?

Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I need maximum visibility. I need to know if anybody has experienced the same problem.

I have a MY00 UK Turbo with around 20,000 miles on the clock. I have had it from new and it was purchased in May 2000. If the car has been cruising in fifth for a sustained period of time it just slips out of gear!! At first, I thought it was me, but I have just done over 500 miles from London to Cornwall and back and it slipped out of gear three times. I have never had any other problems with car and this only happens between 80 and 90mph. Basically, when this happens the car loses momentum and the engine starts to scream. It does not happen if I'm booting it in fifth, it has always been when I have been easing off.

I need some advice because the warranty is up in May 2003 and if this is a major problem I need to get it fixed ASAP.

Has anyone had this problem or can they give me any advice. Do I go straight to the dealer and get them to look into it, or what...?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 August 2002, 12:33 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

do not pass go, do not collect £200, go directly to the dealer
Old 27 August 2002, 12:39 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wuss,

No, not had this problem on my previous car. Had lots of clutch judder problems which is well known "characteristic".

Your way forward is simple; back to the dealer now, get them to sort it, watch out for the bull from them, and don't take no for an answer. If you don't trust your dealer to get it done email me offline and I will point you to one that can/will.

WB
Old 27 August 2002, 07:17 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Wuss,

My old MY00 had this problem. There is a bolt inside the gearbox which can sometimes work loose. The cure is to take it to the dealers and let them rebuild the gearbox under warranty. It should take a couple of days.

The car was fine after this
Old 27 August 2002, 08:14 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

could be something simple - I used to have a car that did this and it was just the plastic locating gates underneath the gearlever that had shifted across slightly. comes from changing gear too hard (I end up having them reset on every car I own!). quick dealer trip ...

good luck

G