Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport Downpipe/APS/External Wastegate questions

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 04:01 PM
Section 8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are people thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the ScoobySport downpipe, or the APS Turbo outlet? Or using an external wastegate system?

I am "building" a turbo car from a naturally aspirated car (they're less expensive when you will be tossing most of the stock parts in the first place) and using parts that are already available for the WRX would be easier than fabricating anything. Scoobysport has been proven many times over, with their wide inlet down pipe for both the turbine exhaust and internal waste gate. The APS (BPM and others) have an interesting idea about keeping the exhaust from the wastegate seperate. This seems to make sense, and hasn't seemed to generate any bad feelings from anyone. I have also been looking into an external wastegate exhaust and just skipping over the whole wastegate issue. I haven't seen any products for this, and fabricating without a welder relies on someone else and cash. Not my favorite circumstance. Using prefabbed parts needs a WRX crossmember and various WRX engine acessiories, where as the fabricated parts can be made for what is in the car.

This is for a 2.5 liter, running a planned maximum (yea, we all know how plans go once it is running ) of 20 PSI, utilizing programmable managment.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 21 August 2002, 11:25 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

email Mark, he posts here as R19KET - he has some experience of external wastegates and how to control them

Trout