Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

header tank info needed pppplleeeaaassseeeee

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2002, 02:00 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As above does anybody know if a 97 metal uk turbo header tank is the same as a 97 wrx metal header tank??
Reason being is that they are only £52 new from subaru and i have to replace the plastic peice of **** that is stopping me from driving the car at the moment...
Any advice/help will be much appreciated..
Rob
Old 16 August 2002, 02:07 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

The header tanks are the same, but you mention a plastic one... the mounting locations are different between the metal and the plastic ones, if memory serves correctly, because the plastic one was used on the EJ20G and the metal ones on the EJ20K/5/7... the intake manifold is different and thus so are the mounting locations.
Old 16 August 2002, 02:17 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Apparently the metal on can be made to fit early cars, albeit using only 1 bolt, maybe 2. Hoses will need adjusted too, with longer ones for the rad overflow etc. Havent actually done it myself, but may do soon.
Seems strange that your car, if its MY97, has a plastic one?
Old 16 August 2002, 03:39 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

stevie,

I'm master of making things fit that should not... I was one of the first in the UK to run an intake manifold reversed, and I do mean literally reversed... with regard to the water header, I was trying to keep it simple... anything can be made to fit anything, given enough time / money... well that's what I keep telling myself when I look at my 3.3 flat 6 that will be going into my scooby

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 16 August 2002, 03:41 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

My car is a my93wrx, i'm fed up with having to replace the plastic one every couple of months and have been quoted £62 for a second hand metal one.. thats why i thought it was odd that it would be cheaper for a new one from subaru, the guy i spoke to said that he couldnt be sure that the uk one was the same as an import tank but would order me one if i wanted????????
Said it should be in stock two days after ordering....
Its nice to see that not all subaru dealers are stupid enough to turn away import part sales...
Rob
Any second opinions on wether they are the same on import and uk, the thing being is the guy from subaru thought that the older uk cars had metal ones????
Old 16 August 2002, 03:47 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

just to add that i know that it wont fit straight on...

*now where's that superglue*

Rob
Old 16 August 2002, 04:04 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why is it the plastic header tank on my legacy has lasted 8 years without fail?

paul

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2002, 04:31 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Well, when the 3.3 came out, I read that it was only 2 inches longer than the flat4, so Im sure it could be made to fit. I have actually seen your manifold I think. Your car is silver? Didnt know who you were until after Elvington, You were at Powerstation getting your alignment done last november, when we were there in my mates legacy.
Im also too keen on DIY'ing, sometimes it is just necessary, as no one makes anything.
Still not convinced that a front entry manifold is worth the hassle. A 3.3 on the other hand...well, there aint no substitute for cubes as they say.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 8/16/2002 4:33:02 PM]
Old 16 August 2002, 05:21 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Pavlo you lucky .....
What power you runnin???
Rob
Old 16 August 2002, 05:23 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dunno yet, probably about 240-250, but that's only recently. find out for sure on 31st at tuning japanese RR day that scott is organising

paul
Old 16 August 2002, 05:35 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Just to add that you might not notice it if it is leaking slightly
Rob
AFAIK they are well known for being ****...
Old 16 August 2002, 06:06 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I never had a problem with my plastic header tank, even when I was running over 300 BHP on my original STi II engine

Yes, my car is silver, and I do recall the Legacy at PS last year It was an interesting challenge setting up the geometry... seemed to handle rather well afterwards... damn shame the suspension was not suitable for road use and I had to have to rebuilt. This time around I've made a few adjustments to allow it to be used on the road

People seem to get confused about the 6 cylinder engines. There are to the best of my knowledge three Subaru six cylinder engines, the ER26, the EZ30 and the EG33. I don't have much info about the ER26, only that it powers the XT6. The EZ30 is the new "H6" engine and it is indeed only slightly longer than the EJ2X series. The EG33 is the engine Subaru used in the SVX, and it is this engine I have and will be trying to fit. It is about 5 inches longer than the EJ20, indeed the simples way of thinking about it is as a 22B engine with an extra 2 cylinders. The bore and stroke is the same as the EJ22, as is the bore pitch. The EZ30 on the other hand has a closer bore pitch which allowed Subaru to cram it into a smaller space, as well as different bore and stoke. Fitting an EG33 into an Impreza shell is no easy task. I am still undecided what to do about the turbo(s)... either Garrett GT42/45, two Garrett GT25s or two Aerodyne Industries Aerocharger 66000 series variable geometry turbos I am expecting flow rates up to 1000 CFM so the blower(s) will have to be quite beefy

Cheers,

Pat.

Old 17 August 2002, 12:51 AM
TylerD529
Scooby Regular

my plastic header tank went 2 weeks ago, was told to fit the newer metal one for reliability. was told you needed to make a mounting bracket and obtain longer hoses. seen this as a lot of hassle so just bought 2 spare plastic ones and a bottle of antifreeze for scalding roadside repairs.