Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whirring Noise from gearbox - STI7

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2002, 04:28 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my STi Type UK for a few days now, and I've just noticed that when I completely back off the throttle in gear I can hear a whirring noise - dipping the clutch or re-accelarating causes the noise to go away. Anyone else have this? Is it a 'feature' or does it need looking at - going for 1k service next weekend.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 August 2002, 05:02 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

This sounds waaaaay too familiar. But mine is an MY93 so I doubt you have my problem. Lets just say that you should check out the Wanted section if it is..
Old 11 August 2002, 05:35 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Ian , buying a new car is a good way to identify how noisy these cars actually are . You want to drive a WRX MY01 to appreciate this . I also thought my MY01 was faulty when I backed off the throttle and what sounded like a thrust bearing noise was heard . But that sound was there form new and only got louder . Same with others I drove in . Now with my STI VII i have identified a different sounding noise on lift off , but it is only the front diff talking . Don't worry it won't break . Seems to be louder at night . My brothers brand new STI VII makes the same sound ....

Ray
Old 11 August 2002, 05:42 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys - didn't think of the diff. Apart from that noise I'm pretty impressed with just how little noises/creaks, etc there are in the car. Little bit of wind noise around mirror and in the rain you're convinced there's a window open because of the noise of the spray coming up from the road - maybe this is just a side effect of having framelss doors.
Well, off to do some more driving to help get through the 1000 mile pain barrier!!!

Ian
Old 11 August 2002, 06:33 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Ian , Iam not going to tempt you by telling you how fast the car is without the cats , no , I'm going to encourage you to get to know that diff and the handling traits that felt so different to me . When its raining and you are confident you have front end grip as you turn in to a second hand corner , boot the throttle , careful now , and hang on to the rear wheel drift . Now put on a pipe and try that in the dry .

Enjoy the car , its the only one I've owned that I have never driven one handed , its demands your full attention . Brilliant .

Ray

Hope you feeling better now about the diff .