Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Redlining a cool engine - damage?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2002, 06:46 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Whenever I go out in my car I always avoid giving it any real hammer until about 15 minutes after I set off. I wait for the temp needle to hit the middle, then wait about another 5 minutes before giving it some.

However, occasionally I have the need to give it full boot after only a mile or so of running. For example, just dropped the missus off at the pub a mile away, turned out onto 60mph bypass after and there are three lads in a Nova trying to outrun me in front. So I let them get away a bit (rear passenger gesticulating at this point) until the mile long straight further up the bypass, whilst holding it on cam (remember I have an MR2, not a turbo) then fly past them and leave them for dead whilst laughing.

The needle dropped to a quarter on the temp gauge during this acceleration (only relined in 3rd).

Just wondered how much damage you can do, doing this say 3% of the time when out in the car (i.e. every now and then)

DW

PS It was funny to see there faces though
Old 28 July 2002, 07:38 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have not let it warm up then the oil wont be nice and thin and doing its job. Most of engine wear occurs when the engine is cold so lowing the revs when its cold will give a longer engine life. Well thats the theory anyway. It a problem as most cars just have water temperature and I use to go off hat and wait aboput five mins after it read normal. I noticed with the oil temp on my defis that it can be longer than this and teh oil temp hardly moves even when water is on normal. I tend not to go over 3000-3500 rpm ive until its 70-80c on the oil temp guage and try and kepp the boost below zero.