Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ITG Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2002, 01:42 PM
ShAnNo_RB5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Not long fitted an ITG panel filter and have just read on Power Engineering website that oil impregnated filters can damage the engine...

Have also heard that people don't reccomend induction kits because they don't assist with spool up in the turbo...

Anyone got any views on the matter?

Regards,

Shanno
Old 13 July 2002, 02:11 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Hmm, turbo spool-up. My only experience with this in on a couple of turbo-diesel engines, which I changed air filters on. On both of them, there was no doubt that turbo spooled up earlier (usually about 300rpm) and faster. The first of them (Xantia 1.9TD) had a 57i-type kit put on it, and the second (406 1.9TD) had a replacement panel-filter. No doubt, the 57i was a bit better, but both had a massive effect.

As for ITG's, I've just fitted one to my Legacy 2.5 (running LPG) and am over the moon with the results. More torque (seriously lacking, since the conversion to LPG) and the revs go nuts when it passes 3,500rpm So, I'm a chuffed bunny.

But, the ITG's do seem to have a lot of oil in them. Since the airflow on a turbo'd car is that much higher, it wouldn't surprise me why some people would suggest it could cause problems. But, oil burns.....
Old 13 July 2002, 02:23 PM
ShAnNo_RB5
Scooby Regular

OK, I can definately sense a quicker throttle response with the ITG... But, I'm planning a phase 1 PE upgrade for my MY99 RB5 - they reccomned and full exhaust system upgrade and induction kit for best results.

Reckon the ITG will dampen the improvements of a phase 1?

Many Thanks,

Shanno
Old 13 July 2002, 04:55 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Oil from filters doesn't damage the engine itself, just the MAF (Mass Air Flow)sensor; although if that's dead it won't help the engine run

Seen several posts on this already. Some suggest that the ITG uses some fancy polymer and not actually oil, so is safe; some have run many tens of thousands of miles with no problem, although others apparently haven't. Don't know if there's a right answer, but for what it's worth, I've got one.

Phil
Old 14 July 2002, 12:54 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

I ran an ITG foam element on my sti V. It didn't seem to offer any more power/torque than a paper element and over a year spewed oil over the hot film MAF sensor ruining it and costing me £260 + vat to replace. I'd steer clear if I were you. Just keep replacing the paper ones - they are dirt cheap and when clean flow better than most aftermarket alternatives so just change them often.
Old 15 July 2002, 06:57 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Oil in an ITG? Wow, there was me thinking it was green snot

I've run over 100'000km on 2 cars and 2 ITG panels with no problems except occasional cleaning of the snot which collects in the bottom of the airbox (atmosphere side, not MAF side ). I fail to see how the green sh*t could get sucked onto the MAF - have you ever got this stuff on your fingers?!

Paper filter is OK if you still have resonator before it, otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Richard