Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Aut Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2002, 03:56 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with experience with automatic gearboxes, especially the one on my MY98 Legacy GT Twin Turbo? Recently, the box is getting jerky in between changes especially on pickup. It hasn't been silky smooth since new, but have been told that Subaru Gearboxes are like that and they can't be compared to the auto boxes of Mercs/BMWs etc. Is that true or a load of crap i'm getting from the dealer again?

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Would a change of gearbox oil help? I changed the oil only 1.5yrs ago(about 20000KM)and never thought gearbox oil needed changing that frequently. The funny thing is that when I switch it to power mode it is more pronounced, on economy it seems to be a bit smoother!!

Any advice appreciated

[Edited by bb - 7/7/2002 7:08:34 AM]
Old 07 July 2002, 12:27 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i may be wrong but im sure that the autos can be adjusted with a select moniter so you can adjust the line pressures giving a better feel of change of gear. it's a bit hit and miss as you have to drrive it adjust it drive it until your happy.
Old 07 July 2002, 06:46 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I changed the ATF in my car (94 WRX Auto) to Amsoil synthetic which seems to work well (been in the car 1 year+):

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html

I got it from Demon Tweeks it is about £40 for 5 litres.

I also had fitted an additional air/air ATF cooler at the front of the car due to the higher speeds (?) here in the UK compared to Japan:

Think Auto "Mocal" transmission cooler about £90.

I hope you get it sorted.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 08 July 2002, 01:56 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys,

I think I will try to give it a change of oil first as this is the most economical and quickest way.

Gavin, you mentioned changing the oil and adding an oil cooler, but did you notice that the auto box was a bit jerky/unsmooth in the first place? I am trying to assess whether this is normal before I try to do anything expensive trying to fix it.

Thanks
Old 08 July 2002, 03:17 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

I wouldn't say it was jerky beforehand (if it is overfilled this can be the issue I believe) although it did seem smoother afterwards (maybe all in the mind ).

What I did notice is that in cold weather the car now refuses to go into lockup/top gear until it has warmed up - which it didn't do before and this is how it is supposed to operate apparently.

Auto owners are fairly rare on here so it may be worth posting a question to the WRX-Auto group in Yahoo Groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wrx-auto/

Thanks

Gavin
Old 10 July 2002, 02:02 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Took the car to a mechanic today and have been told there is a problem with the box, a minor slipping from 1-2 causing the jerkiness. Something I forgot to mention is that when shifting into reverse, the box seems to take half a second or so to switch in with a clunking noise too. Have changed the oil and have seen a minor improvement for the time being.

The mechanic told me to keep driving it and that it is possible to try to adjust the 'band' in order to reduce the slipping and to get more comfort/life out of it. After that he reckons it is either a rebuild or a replacement second hand box. He told me that it is cheaper to put in a second hand box than a rebuild due to high labour charges, but i am worried that I may have similar problems again putting in a second hand one. What do they do during an gearbox rebuild? If it is just the the 1st-2nd gear slipping, surely they can just do something about that?

Haven't a clue how a gearbox works, so would like a second opinion. The mechanic I took it to is a Subaru mechanic by day and does some work at night for extra cash so seems to know Subaru's inside out, he did confirm that he couldn't do anything with the Select Monitor to help me out. with my car only done 55000KM and less than 4 yr old, I am sure in the UK I could go back to Subaru and tell them they should fix it even if it is out of warranty..but no way I am going ot get that here!

Advice please....rebuild or 2nd hand replacement?