Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

do we have boost limit from a cold start..!

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2002, 12:24 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Just a quick question for the teccys..!!!

Im under the understanding that most turbo cars are limited in boost when the engine is cold to prevent damage to the engine e.t.c as a saftey mechanism..!! and that this is controlled by the boost solonoid and coolant temp sensor e.t.c....

My question is if i fit my dawes device will i remove this saftey mechanism from my car... i.e will full boost be able to be reached even when the car is cold.... i only ask this because if someone who doesnt no much about my car drives it i.e my bird or a bloke at a repair garage and decided to boot it when cold they could cause damage which would be otherwise be controlled by the turbo solonoid....

Any thoughts.... john banks..!! anyone..!

Dan
Old 06 July 2002, 05:33 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't drive like a pillock until the car's warmed up.

You are more likely to do damage with high revs when cold, but taking it easy until at least the water temp is at normal levels is a good idea. Oil takes longer to heat up, so I tend not to give it full bore on the loud pedal until a few minutes after the water is up to temp.

Oil temp is regular by water circuit on scoob, so I would have thought that oil gets warmed quicker than a normal car. Not too sure about that.

Paul
Old 07 July 2002, 05:04 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

pavlo,

I do drive it sensibly but i mean if someone else drives it who doesnt no..!!, usually the boost solonoid prevents people from giving the car to much boost.... just wondered if fitting the dawes removes the safty mechanism..!!

Dan
Old 07 July 2002, 07:21 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Then the Subaru isn't normal Only cold engine 'low-boost' protection is the drivers sanity...

The ecu will shut down/limit boost if it detects a fault somewhere, but that's it - fitting a Dawes does remove this protection.

Richard

[Edited by dowser - 7/7/2002 7:22:23 PM]
Old 07 July 2002, 08:01 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Oil temp is regular by water circuit on scoob, so I would have thought that oil gets warmed quicker than a normal car. Not too sure about that.
Pavlo, noticed before you are a smart one

Yeah, there seems to be a "dougnut" (don't know why people call it that) that heats up the oil when cold/cools the oil when hot on a Subaru. "Oil cooler" if you like. Water temps seem to be pretty stable at 82 to 84 degrees (once heated up), no matter what.

However, your advice is sound... just wait a few minutes more before booting it, even after the water temp gauge say "go".

Maybe my oil temp gauge is way off (especially since I removed the undertray), but it takes a while before the oil comes up to temp.

Now this is a debated issue, I realize that, but I wait until I get about 70/80°'s oil temp depending on the season before giving it some stick. That may be way to conservative, I can't value that, but it may be safer with the 10W60 oil I use.

I'm pretty sure however that the boost is not restricted by the water/oil temps... EcuTek people should be more "in the know" to this, mind.

Old 08 July 2002, 10:13 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I don't think there is a 'cold boost limit' on Imprezas but I could be wrong.

Fitting a Dawes does take away some of the safety - for example if your ECU notices a fault and goes into 'limp home' mode this usually limits boost to, say 0.5 bar or so. With the Dawes you will bypass this. However your fuel cut will still be there to save you from accidental mega boost..

Justin
Old 08 July 2002, 10:14 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

I've found the oil takes some time to heat as well - a lot longer than I'd have thought. Getting an oil temp gauge was a good move!
Old 08 July 2002, 10:36 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't think there is any protection, that is, the ECU preventing high boost when the engine is cold. I remember when I first bought my car and before I joined the bbs and before I knew that I should not give the car from cold, I had given it stick, once, from cold and the boost went up all the way.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 08 July 2002, 10:40 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Question

Just out of interest, how long / how many miles does it take for the oil to reach operating temp? I find that in the summer, my water temp reaches its normal level in around 2 miles of steady driving from stone cold.

I never cane the car until I've done 5 miles from cold, but it would be interesting to know what your gauge sez ....