Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine-speed related whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2002, 09:54 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what this is? It's an engine-speed related whine, quite loud, gets worse when I put lock on such as when parking, and bizarrely gets worse immediately after doing a high speed crest like the ones I do on the backroads on the way to work every day.

The noise is definately coming from the engine bay, but I guess that does not rule out the greabox/clutch. It doesn't do it from cold, only when hot.

It's starting to worry me now, just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I get it to the dealer. The car is a UK MY97 wagon, by the way.

Any thoughts gratefully received,

Steve
Old 22 June 2002, 10:33 PM
tosser
Scooby Regular

power steering pump
Old 22 June 2002, 10:40 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just saw a thread about that on general - I'll try topping up the fluid and see if it helps.

Cheers,

S.
Old 23 June 2002, 03:53 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Its your fluid overheating.
Old 23 June 2002, 04:53 PM
zax
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm. I had a similar noise a couple of times, both after some "spirited" driving over the same particular stretch of very twisty road. Noise was a whining which came and went with throttle.

First time it happened, it sounded so bad that I actually stopped, figuring something had come loose in the engine bay and was rubbing somewhere. But after I'd gotten the bonnet open the noise died away. I'd left the ground slightly over one particular crest so I figured something could have shifted on landing.

Anyway, a week later and over the same stretch of road I stuck to a similar speed but made sure I stayed on the ground this time. I was amazed to hear the noise again, and even more amazed to hear it along the same section of the route! Slowed way down this time and drove gently for a bit and it went away.

So if it's the power steering fluid that's causing it, what's the best way to confirm that this is really the problem when the noise comes back?
Old 26 June 2002, 09:53 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Well, I've toppped up my power steering and the noise *seems* to have gone away. I'll keep an ear out for it reoccurring though, as I've not had much chance to get a move on recently.

No idea why it came on after a crest though - and it was the same noise as I got when parking etc when hot. Any ideas welcomed!

Steve
Old 26 June 2002, 09:55 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Oh, and my route to work is very twisty, as well as having jumps. But if def got suddenly worse after the crest.