Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox going

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 10:40 PM
Francis Griffin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The gearbox on my MY98 Scoob in going. It's hard to get it into 1st and reverse and not easy getting it into other gears. Intermittently it gets better but I'm reconciled to having some work done. It's done 90K miles.

What am I looking at:

Can it be fixed?
What does a refurbished box cost and are they around.
What's a new box going to do to my wallet?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

FG
Old 21 June 2002, 10:52 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

I thought the same was happening to my old scoob. I got some prices from various dealers and Scoobysport (who were actually pretty competitive despite no SIDC discount) and replacing the clutch is a hell of a lot less expensive than the gearbox, and a lot of the costs is labour.

Post on Drivetrain and General Technical for a better response than on here. John Felstead and the guys on that part of the bbs seem to be the men to talk to. Seems that what they've forgotten about scoobs most people never knew.

Maz.
Old 21 June 2002, 11:11 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks Maz!

If you are having problems with all the gears then it could be a clutch issue. It could be the box, but i would check a few things before you start tearing the car apart.

The first thing you need to do is get the fluid replaced in the clutch system, it gets very hot there being just over the turbo and can degrade. Use a good spec dot 5.1 or high grade dot 4 and bleed through.

Next, drain the gearbox oil and replace it with fresh, sometimes an ageing oil can cause the syncro's to drag.

Next is the clutch, that may be dragging and not releasing due to contamination on the plates/flywheel. If it isnt that then it's time to get the box checked out.
Old 22 June 2002, 12:37 AM
Francis Griffin
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

The car has just had its 90K service with an authorised dealer so all fluids have just been replaced.

I don't think the clutch is dragging, and it feels more like the box to me. Is there any way I can tell, or get a garage to check it out?

Thanks

FG
Old 28 June 2002, 06:39 PM
Francis Griffin
Scooby Newbie

As per my other post the problem was indeed the clutch. Many thanks to all for your advice which prompted me to check this out.

FG