Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2002 Outback - AT Temp sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2023, 01:05 AM
pleiadesmx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Outback - AT Temp sensor replacement?

Hey everyone!

This is my first post here.

So, I picked up a 2002 Outback Sedan, 2.5, a little while ago. It's been with its previous owner for 10 years before it was put on sale on FB Marketplace as a "Project Car". The guy was pretty upfront about engine and transmission issues, he told me that he swapped the AT for a Manual transmission "just for fun" and then swapped in the AT a few months later because his wife wanted the car as her daily driver. He also told me that it was when the transmission problems started (Rough shifting). He tried to fix the gear shifting problems by swapping out parts like the valve body and so on to no avail (He used to work at a Junkyard at the time).

When I got the car, right off the bat, I could feel the transmission was shifting gears with a real kick to it. So, I plugged my laptop into the car with FreeSSM, and it threw up some flags—problems with the TPS, Knock sensor, and a code 27 for the AT temp sensor "Temperature sensor detects open or shorted input signal circuit."

I rolled up my sleeves and changed out the TPS and knock sensor, gave it fresh engine oil, new filters, spark plugs, and replaced the old transmission fluid with fresh Dexron III—topped off with a bottle of Lucas Transmission Treatment. After clearing the codes, I took it for a spin. It was still a bit jerky in second and third gears at first, but then it settled down and got a lot smoother.

The thing is, every time I fire it up and hit the road, those first three gears kick back before everything smooths out. I have been told that this jerkiness is somewhat "normal on 4EAT´s.

Right now, the only codes I've got left are from the oxygen sensor and the AT temp sensor, which is somehow reading the fluid at a -60 degrees Celsius. So, what do you guys think? Where should I start? or do I swap out the sensor, the wiring, or both? Or is there something else I should try? Is replacing the sensor even a thing?

I am not an expert but I know my way around cars, also me and my family have and had a few different Subaru's, so I am somewhat familiar with them.

Also, I haven't brought the car to a Transmission shop because I want to have an idea of what could be wrong with it or if it is something that i can replace or fix myself as most shops here in Baja (Mexico) don't want to deal with Subaru's, even for stuff like spark plugs.

Fortunately, there is a Subaru only junkyard in my city, in case I need to pick parts.

Would love to get your take on this. Thank you!