Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hybrid TD04 + Supporting Mods

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2017, 01:12 PM
LiamB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid TD04 + Supporting Mods

Hi folks, long time lurker first time poster. After a few months of research on here I've finally decided to take the plunge and power up my 2005 WRX. I've decided on a hybrid TD04 with a billet compressor because it meets my power goal (300-320bhp) without giving up the responsiveness of the standard turbo.

Where would be a good place to get a Hybrid TD04 these days? I'd love an AFP-04H but haven't seen one for sale in months, which probably says a lot about the performance of these turbos given that nobody wants to give them up. I'v looked at Tuning Developments and Race Tech, their TD04s seem to be well reviewed by the Starlet/Glanza crowd. Also ARD Tuning in the US do a hybrid but I wouldn't want to get stung for import duty.

Secondly, would there be any benefit in fitting an STi TMIC? None of the build lists I've seen for TD04s seem to mention them.

The car currently has:
-TD04
-K&N filter
-Full decat system from the turbo back
-PPP

I would be fitting:
-Hybrid TD04
-STi TMIC (??)
-Decat up-pipe
-Walbro 255l/h fuel pump
-550cc Injectors
-NGK spark plugs
-Remap

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old 31 January 2017, 01:21 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I think cuprajake on here had his TD04 turned into a hybrid by a firm called turbo rebuild up fleetwood way, was 350 quid or around that area, thats always an option
Old 31 January 2017, 02:32 PM
LiamB
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ted.

Could a mod kindly move this to General Technical please? I'very been a muppet and posted in the wrong place.
Old 31 January 2017, 04:22 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been slowly collecting parts to carry out the same work but I haven't installed it all as I think I need a full engine rebuild first.

I too am considering the ARD kit. Plus points are that you don't need to machine the CHRA so you can build it yourself (I bought a TD04 for £50 to work on). Also, if you get the 9 blade turbine as well, it comes pre-balanced with the compressor. I'd get a rebuild kit too, so I'd effectively have a new turbo (something that has always put me off a second-hand VF35). Plus I like having a go at building stuff myself. You may want to factor a new actuator too.

Downside is cost (exchange rate/customs). It's £350 plus shipping/tax. Although only £190+ for the compressor and housing. Rebuild kits are about £50. You'd need to find out exactly what a supplier does to their "Hybrid" (compressor & housing, rebuild, turbine etc) to see where the value is. For example, Tuning Developments charge £540 exchange or £640 new, for their Hybrid. No details about it though. Fat profit if they are just sticking a 19T wheel and housing on it. And RaceTech want £800 for their 340bhp rated TD04. Again no details about it. Does say for engines below 1500cc....

I'd look to maximise the returns by porting the headers (bought some cheap to play with) and wrapping them and also a wrapped Harvey trick pipe. I'm looking into also having the turbo housing ceramic coated but it's quite pricey. Might also port the turbo a little too.

With regards to the TMIC; on the one hand pushing the small turbo hard is going to increase temps so the STi may give you small gains. On the other, it will reduce spool slightly. WRX TMIC will be fine but it would be good to see results using both. Doubt there will be much difference and there are probably better uses for the money.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 31 January 2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 31 January 2017, 04:58 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ted bass
I think cuprajake on here had his TD04 turned into a hybrid by a firm called turbo rebuild up fleetwood way, was 350 quid or around that area, thats always an option
No dyno figures sadly.
Old 31 January 2017, 05:41 PM
LiamB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I too am considering the ARD kit. Plus points are that you don't need to machine the CHRA so you can build it yourself (I bought a TD04 for £50 to work on). Also, if you get the 9 blade turbine as well, it comes pre-balanced with the compressor. I'd get a rebuild kit too, so I'd effectively have a new turbo (something that has always put me off a second-hand VF35). Plus I like having a go at building stuff myself. You may want to factor a new actuator too.

Downside is cost (exchange rate/customs). It's £350 plus shipping/tax. Although only £190+ for the compressor and housing. Rebuild kits are about £50. You'd need to find out exactly what a supplier does to their "Hybrid" (compressor & housing, rebuild, turbine etc) to see where the value is. For example, Tuning Developments charge £540 exchange or £640 new, for their Hybrid. No details about it though. Fat profit if they are just sticking a 19T wheel and housing on it. And RaceTech want £800 for their 340bhp rated TD04. Again no details about it. Does say for engines below 1500cc....

I'd look to maximise the returns by porting the headers (bought some cheap to play with) and wrapping them and also a wrapped Harvey trick pipe. I'm looking into also having the turbo housing ceramic coated but it's quite pricey. Might also port the turbo a little too.

With regards to the TMIC; on the one hand pushing the small turbo hard is going to increase temps so the STi may give you small gains. On the other, it will reduce spool slightly. WRX TMIC will be fine but it would be good to see results using both. Doubt there will be much difference and there are probably better uses for the money.
I liked the look of the ARD kit too and it looked like an easy enough job to do the conversion. The problem for me would be the cost of import duty and a few extra hand tools making it less worthwhile. Plus there's the added risk of buying a donor TD04, it could have been ragged dozens of times with no chance to cool down or ran on dirty oil for months. Personally I'd rather buy something where someone's prepared to warranty the whole unit. Still a tempting proposition though. ARD also supply complete turbos but the costs aren't much less than UK suppliers.

I was leaning towards the tuning developments offering on balance but as you point out it really hinges on what they're offering for the price. I might phone turbo rebuilds and see what they're offering for the money.

I take it the ceramic coating is there to prevent heat from making its way into the compressor side of the turbo? Sounds like a good idea in principle but I'd be worried about the turbine housing operating at a higher temperature. If you think about it the exhaust gas heats up the turbine housing and the only mechanism for cooling it are radiation to the surroundings, convection to the surrounding air and maybe a bit of forced convection from the oil and coolant. Any coating on the turbine housing then restricts the first two exits. I'd be worried about reduced life of the turbo vs marginal performance gains.

Now that you mention it the charge air temperature probably would be high. I think I'll take the hit on an STi Intercooler upfront rather than finding out during mapping that intake air temperatures are too high with a WRX TMIC and having to swap it out and Remap again.

Last edited by LiamB; 31 January 2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 31 January 2017, 06:41 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

That's why I would suggest a rebuild kit whilst you are at it. You can get new CHRAs for £120.

Ceramic coating is more to act the same as exhaust wrap. Heat is energy and therefore it's lost when it radiates out through the metal of the exhaust housing. Keeping the heat in increases the energy of the exhaust gases driving the turbine. Plus it reduces under bonnet temps and heat soak near the turbo. Cheaper way is to go for a turbo blanket. It shouldn't really damage the turbo if you let it cool down after hard driving, as you should anyway.
Old 31 January 2017, 06:47 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought cuprajakes wrx the other week, its running hybrid td04, Sti top mount intercooler, 255 walbro fuel pump, ram air induction kit with a maffless set up, along with ported manifold, trick up pipe and 3" turbo back exhaust. No dyno figures but estimated to be just over 300bhp
Old 31 January 2017, 06:51 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gc8simon
I bought cuprajakes wrx the other week, its running hybrid td04, Sti top mount intercooler, 255 walbro fuel pump, ram air induction kit with a maffless set up, along with ported manifold, trick up pipe and 3" turbo back exhaust. No dyno figures but estimated to be just over 300bhp

Would be interested to hear if you ever get it on a dyno.
Old 31 January 2017, 06:54 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Would be interested to hear if you ever get it on a dyno.
Me too, i am looking at changing the Catback system, as it currently has a resonator in the centre section, so depending where i get it mapped once done to whether iys dyno'd.