http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=100849

[Edited by GTBGUY - 6/4/2002 3:47:11 AM]
Old 02 June 2002, 04:39 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi all,

I wanted to start a thread for all JDM and UK STi-7 PERFORMANCE mods that have been made. The purpose of this is for those that have a 100% stock STi-7 that want to make some bhp and torque gains have some info to work with. Becuase the STi-7 is new there are not many reference points for this imho. So if you have modded your STi-7 can you please post details (all parts used, ease of mod, problems ecountered, where to buy, etc) of the mods and even better would be to give the dyno results of the gains the mods gave you (Please specify UK or JDM so we know if you started out at 260 bhp or 276 bhp

I know some have gone the turbo back full decat route with the restrictor fix, are there any out there that have had a dyno done after this mod ?

Thanks,
Ray

PS: Please no cosmetic, body kits, etc mods....this is only for mods that increase bhp and torque Cheers !
Old 02 June 2002, 01:07 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Cool

Razor I have added an air freshener in the shape of a tree.I think it has added about 25 BHP and the turbo spools up faster.I will let you know once I have put it on the rollong road.
Old 02 June 2002, 03:37 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Talking

ha ha ha

Guess no one out there has modded there STI-7

Old 02 June 2002, 03:43 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Razor, apart from those who have large bank balances and don't worry about blowing the odd engine or two (they are about, trust me), most of us have not had the UK version of the car long enough (only here since Jan) to contemplate (or risk in some cases) performance mods.

Others, like me, are waiting for the Prodrive performance pack.

Ken
Old 02 June 2002, 03:58 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

The Sti V7 i'm getting on the 8th June has the following over standard:-

Black Leather Seats and door trim
Vdo Dayton Sat nav/dvd/tv tuner combo ms6000
Vdo dayton speakers/tweeters
Alloy gear ****
Carpet front/boot mats
6 Disc cd/dvd changer
Rear Twin cup holder
Stainless Steel entry guards
Front Strut Brace - Aluminium
Rear Strut Brace - Aluminium
Braided brake hoses
Enhanced air flow in-take
Exhaust system changed ending in oval tailpipe (no brand name) centre cat is different shape.
Silicone hoses turbo/coolant/ancillary.
Intercooler/turbo piping different shape (smoother flowing?)
Radiator Cap Sti Branded
Quickshift
Clear front/side Indicators
Dealer stated 300 bhp 384nm torque (3 year warranty)
Rubber door protection side strips
Debadged only has wrx on back ( still see the sti through the frnt scoop though)
Has a better stance than std Sti ie slightly lower more squat.

Hawkeye
Old 02 June 2002, 04:59 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice Hawk,

Keep um comming guys !

Cheers,
Ray
Old 02 June 2002, 10:33 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I have replaced the midsections and back box on my Type UK and it seems to have made a difference, there is defintely a bigger shove in the back, peak boost is now 1.4. I also am waiting on the PPP just got fed up!
Old 02 June 2002, 10:46 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Razor,sorry about the earlier post mate but could'nt resist.The guys with UK cars will have done not much as they d'ont want to invalidate their warranty.One guy(Euro import) has used a Unichip with full through exhaust and achieved just over 300 BHP.Another JDM owner has used Apexi fuel and boost computers,but I d'ont think he has had the car dynoed after.Then there is a group of us waiting for a fully mappable ECU(me included).When this is available the fun will really start with fmic,uprated turbos etc.
Old 03 June 2002, 01:28 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good deal Deep,

Keep us informed

Come on guys, I want 310 bhp and 300 ft lbs. of torque outta my JDM spec....I want answers !!!!

Cheers,
Ray
Old 03 June 2002, 01:32 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Razor,

Well judging by Jonno's experiences, all you need to do is change the exhaust (and then fix the boost control issues) and you will get that....

Matt
Old 03 June 2002, 08:46 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

No engine mods. But I have fitted my old AP6 pots and PD7's to my STI7. The AP's are still a better brake kit than the brembo's in terms of absolute braking power, feel and resistance to fade.

The Brembo's are very good though.
Old 03 June 2002, 01:28 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys,

Give me some more

Jonno, please post your mods (the more detailed the better and have you done a dyno yet ?)

Cheers guys,
Ray
Old 03 June 2002, 08:20 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Cool

bttt
Old 04 June 2002, 03:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Razor,

Sorry to change the sunject but could you help me out on the STi7 VIN Decoding Thread?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 04 June 2002, 11:26 PM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Hi Ray,
The mod`s i have are a full decat including up pipe and air filter.

I have the SS up pipe with SS down pipe and HKS TT centre and rear, i have the APS cold air kit.

You can find results for my run on this this thread Rolling Road Results PE

Hope this Helps.

Jonno
Old 05 June 2002, 01:07 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Jonno

Old 05 June 2002, 05:38 PM
GDB
Scooby Newbie

Here's a story about STi mods:

First of all, the STi needs to be decatted; a quick and easy mod. So out goes the stock downpipe, enter a 3" stainless steel downpipe.

Then you realize the boost spikes tremendously on a decatted STi. What do you do? You buy an electronic boost controller.

You start to play around with the EBC, and oh boy: you realize upping the boost to 1.5 bar is a hell of an adrenaline rush! Sadly, the stock top-mount intercooler isn't up to the job when cooling the extra hot air associated with the high boost. Yup, you know what's next: a front-mount intercooler.

Gosh darn, you then realize with an FMIC, the stock airbox has to go. Well, in goes an open-pod air filter.

Now you have an STi capable of reliable 1.5bar with an FMIC, when you suddenly realize that the ECU isn't all that comfy adjusting to all the cumulative mods so far. So you call up your friendly neighborhood tuner and get yourself an Autronic or Motec, tune that ******* out to pump out in excess of 400bhp.

Oh jeez 3 months and 10 track days later, the engine gave way. Sad as you are, you pull up your socks, and start sourcing for a 2.2L stroker kit. A month passes, and you now have a 500+bhp monster in your garage.

As you smile admiring your baby, you realize that you haven't balanced your checkbook for months. So you fire up your Quicken Deluxe and dig out those old statements. Immediately after you're done, your heart skips a beat (or two, well maybe more) and you instantly succumb to the "oh-my-God-I-don't-believe-I've-spent-so-much" type of convulsions.

And all this starts from a humble 3" stainless steel downpipe.

Moral of the story? Well, none intended actually; I'm just a little bored.

SERIOUSLY though: I do have catless downpipe, ARC induction kit, Blitz EBC. The downpipe by far is the best mod (for me) because it makes the car so much more drivable.

A worthy consideration IMHO is the equal length headers. It'll take the boxer sound away, but if it works like it's supposed to work, I'll live with it.
Old 05 June 2002, 08:08 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

GDB is it really that bad ???? you are skeeeeeeerin me ! Why dont you just fit a $10 1.25mm restrictor and bring the boost levels back to 1.30 and then no need to worry about fmic or anything else

Ray
Old 06 June 2002, 06:22 AM
GDB
Scooby Newbie

Razor,

To be perfectly honest, I DON'T KNOW how bad the spikes are simply because I have no boost gauge at any time, before/after the decat.

However, pretty much EVERYBODY who has decatted their JDM STi 7 is seeing spikes as high as 1.7bar or 1.8bar. That doesn't sound good, does it?

In the end I bought the EBC because of its ability to limit boost spikes AND its versatility; ability to change boost on the fly etc.

An American magazine, Sport Compact Car I believe, recently did a test on different boost controllers versus a simple spring-ball-valve contraption. The valve performs well considering its price, BUT there is still minimal spiking (test done on an Eclipse). With Blitz EBC, spiking is gone completely, and it's the fastest-spooling boost controllers on the test bed (which consists of Apex'i, HKS, and Greddy).

Nothing's too good for my baby

Besides, even with the Blitz dual solenoid EBC, my STi STILL spikes, albeit nowhere near as high as 1.7bar. Hence I'd guess the ball-valve thingie wouldn't perform as good as the EBC (MY GUESS only).

E.g. held boost 1.36ish bar, spike 1.42ish, higher on colder days.

EDIT: well after re-reading my own story there is a moral behind it:

"Don't start what you can't finish"

I know I'm having withdrawal symptoms if I haven't done anything to the car or bought new goodies for it. Every 2 weeks or so after my first mod, I'd start flipping magazines and browsing online catalogs looking for new stuff.

[Edited by GDB - 6/6/2002 6:28:25 AM]
Old 06 June 2002, 05:02 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

No the moral of the tale is to mod carefully and sensibly.If nothing is to good for your baby maybe a Knock sensor and AF meter would be handy.