Lack of Performance !! Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 10:58 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello All,

Had a few problems with my 1997 Impreza Turbo Catalunya lately.
Started off with lack of performance and low on boost. Took it in to the main dealer and they diagnose it as the MAF sensor on the select monitor.
It now has a spanking new MAF unit under warranty ... but it's still running the same as before.
I am suspecting the boost solenoid may be the problem. Just before it all started going pear shaped my car was running like a dream then I started getting the over boost limiter cutting in quite a lot on accelerating. Then it started to become low on boost and lack of performace. So I decided to clean the boost pipes with halfords brake cleaner... it made no difference. In the process of cleaning the pipes I managed to break the T-pipe and the small hose to the actuator !!! So I had to purchase a vaccuum hose from somewhere else because the dealer didn't have any ... but they stocked the T-piece pipe. So it all goes back together again ... and no difference !! Still low boost and poor performance.
Now as well as the solenoid I may even suspect the exhaust to be the problem since the back box is the standard item and has started to corrode with rust flakes in places. Just wondering if it's low on back pressure from the exhaust causing the poor turbo spin up and lack of boost. Also my exhaust pipe seems sooty too !!! and doesn't make the metallic cooling down noise as much now.

I am at my wits end at the moment ... so does anyone have any ideas ??

Cheers

Gary.
Old 30 May 2002, 09:22 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bttt
Old 30 May 2002, 09:23 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Has the car been back on the select monitor, since the new MAF?. Maybe this MAF is duff or maybe it’s actually the wiring going to the MAF that’s faulting.
It could be sparkplugs and/or coil packs, have a look at this thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=74077 about coil packs, it might be useful.
Cheer.
Ian.
Old 30 May 2002, 09:42 AM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Gazza,
It could well be a sticking wastegate actuator that is either causing the wastegate to stick closed (overboost) or causing it to stick open (no boost).
Probably best to see if you can get access to the actuator rod (when the turbo is cold!!!) and see if you can move it.

Andy
Old 30 May 2002, 10:32 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Thanks lads.

Update..

Squirted some more brake cleaner down the boost pipes last night. Seems a bit better today. So I might take off the solenoid and clean that fully over the weekend. But in doing so again I have split the other pipe now because the rubber has gone all hard and brittle with age, just a tiny split !!!

Cheers

Gary.