Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

4.111 STi gearboxes? (Ver 3 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 04:48 PM
annointed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a '94 WRX gearbox, and I'd like to swap an STi gearbox onto it, and sell the WRX box to recoup some of the cost of the STi.

My question is, were the older 4.111 STi and/or RA boxes also made with hardened gears, and close ratios? I ask because if I get a newer 4.444 box, I'll need to do a costly diff upgrade as well, although it would be an excuse to upgrade my diffs, I don't want more "excuses" to spend money.

This will become more important after I upgrade my turbo and internals in a few months. It seems smart to upgrade my gears while my WRX box is still in great shape, and has resale value

Edit: Possible correction, it appears that only RA gearboxes were 4.111 in '93 and '94. I know this site http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/...ry/history.html says STi boxes were 4.111 until Ver 4, but I was just looking at a book I have called "You and your Subaru Impreza Turbo" by Chris Rees, and he lists each STi model as 4.444. The only Imprezas that he has as 4.111 are the regular WRX's and the '93 and '94 RA models. Who's right?
Old 31 May 2002, 07:44 PM
claretplace
Scooby Newbie

I had the same discussion with Adam
I have a ver 3 type R ( I thought it had 4.11 as well)
Adam was right when he said all RA and Type R close ratio boxes were 4.44.
I checked with subaru and mine is indeed 4.44
The web site is wrong
regards
Old 01 June 2002, 01:59 AM
annointed
Scooby Regular

Man, now I'm scared to even try to get a 4.111 box! Every site and book seems to contradict itself about the gearboxes that came with the different Imprezas...

It seems like I might as well play it safe and just get a Ver 5 or 6 box and do some Kaaz LSD's to match the 4.444.

Old 01 June 2002, 11:03 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

claretplace,

except the uk 22b which has an r180 rear diff but is a 4.11.

These had to e specially brought in from south africa by prodrive.

There are some available in aus as they are identical to some that fit one of the niassan z cars.

I just managed to buy a 3.9 final drive in this way.

Kaaz diffs will be dammned expensive, but worth it. Hva eyou considered quaife?

I am not sure that the sti 3 type r does actyaly have the same drive train as the sti 4 type r.

The earlier cars might not have had the r180 rear diff.

If that is the case it is possible they did actually come with the 4.11 final drive.

The only way to check to is see what the indicated speed is at 4000 rpm in all the gears. Would be better if you had gps as it would be the real speed.

If you email me these speeds I can check against an excel spread sheet I have. By knowing all the gears, I can see the relative gear ratios and therefore know what your fifth gear ratio would be, as I have the ratios of all the different standard gearboxes available.

I also can see what the top speed would be for each final drive.

It might help, but its based on your speedo being accuratish, that is if you dont gps.