Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exedy pink box clutch- brand new... And juddering...

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2014, 08:50 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Exedy pink box clutch- brand new... And juddering...

Just had a brand new exedy pink box clutch installed into my 2003 5 speed wrx, alongside a lightened and skimmed standard flywheel... And sadly it has a horrible judder when taking up drive and when downshifting.

It was all put in by a reputable tuner so I'm not worried about any potential fitment issues, and I've done some searching and found this was quite a common issue a few years back. Apparently the exedy organic stage 1 just doesn't agree with lightened flywheels. I found various old threads all about it. For some people it just disappeared as the clutch ran in, but for others it didn't and they just gave up and changed the clutch again. But before I consider ripping it back out for another item I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt to run in and see what happens.

Has anyone else had the same issue recently? And how did you end up resolving it?

Part numbers were:

Fc04t and fd08h. Clutch kit FK01H601

Cheers
Old 09 May 2014, 10:32 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ste333
Just had a brand new exedy pink box clutch installed into my 2003 5 speed wrx, alongside a lightened and skimmed standard flywheel... And sadly it has a horrible judder when taking up drive and when downshifting.

It was all put in by a reputable tuner so I'm not worried about any potential fitment issues, and I've done some searching and found this was quite a common issue a few years back. Apparently the exedy organic stage 1 just doesn't agree with lightened flywheels. I found various old threads all about it. For some people it just disappeared as the clutch ran in, but for others it didn't and they just gave up and changed the clutch again. But before I consider ripping it back out for another item I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt to run in and see what happens.

Has anyone else had the same issue recently? And how did you end up resolving it?

Part numbers were:

Fc04t and fd08h. Clutch kit FK01H601

Cheers
Sbould be ok after 300 miles and good after 1.5k,straight after change I couldn't even move my car from first gear.
Old 09 May 2014, 11:09 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

That's comforting to know lol. Pulling off in 1st at the moment is horrific unless I use about 2-3k revs. Hopefully once it's bed in then I should be okay. I do about 300 miles a week so it won't take long. Are you on the exact same kit are you?
Old 10 May 2014, 12:43 AM
Mike_08
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm upgrading mine soon... Should be fun.
Old 10 May 2014, 09:14 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Ste333
That's comforting to know lol. Pulling off in 1st at the moment is horrific unless I use about 2-3k revs. Hopefully once it's bed in then I should be okay. I do about 300 miles a week so it won't take long. Are you on the exact same kit are you?
similar,pink with skimmed standard flywheel , clutch smells a lot on launch but is strong enough for wrx ppp power

Last edited by fawor; 10 May 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10 May 2014, 09:17 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

ideally you want the "H1" upgrade kit rather than the std version IMO.................

carry in stock
Old 13 May 2014, 12:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It's nothing to do with the flywheel, you have purchased the old version clutch with 6 springs which does judder.

We only sell the newer version to avoid this issue and have done so for years.
Old 13 May 2014, 12:49 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by AS Performance
ideally you want the "H1" upgrade kit rather than the std version IMO.................

carry in stock
As far as I know pink is not standard version,even new version judder (less but still)but dont remember which one ive got.
Old 14 May 2014, 08:56 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

never said anything was "standard"

maybe i wasn't clear there are 2x seperate versions of Exedy PINK upgraded organic clutch kits............an older "H" (still available) and a newer "H1" which is more refined.............
Old 14 May 2014, 08:56 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

never said anything was "standard"

maybe i wasn't clear there are 2x seperate versions of Exedy PINK upgraded organic clutch kits............an older "H" (still available) and a newer "H1" which is more refined.............
Old 14 May 2014, 09:25 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
As far as I know pink is not standard version,even new version judder (less but still)but dont remember which one ive got.
Id be inclined to listen to Alyn, he does sell and fit these units all day every day lol
Old 14 May 2014, 11:21 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

I did see the H1 version but I was able to get the older H version for a good price. You live and learn eh

I've covered around 350 miles with it now and I can say that it does appear to be improving daily. I barely get any judder on downshift now, just a tiny wobble, and when pulling off in 1st and reverse it is still there, but is definitely getting better. Hopefully after another 300-400 miles and some slightly harder usage it will become hardly noticeable at all.

The pedal feel is still 100x better than my old tired clutch so I can deal with it- even daily.