ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Exedy pink box clutch- brand new... And juddering... (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1003885-exedy-pink-box-clutch-brand-new-and-juddering.html)

Ste333 09 May 2014 08:50 PM

Exedy pink box clutch- brand new... And juddering...

Just had a brand new exedy pink box clutch installed into my 2003 5 speed wrx, alongside a lightened and skimmed standard flywheel... And sadly it has a horrible judder when taking up drive and when downshifting.

It was all put in by a reputable tuner so I'm not worried about any potential fitment issues, and I've done some searching and found this was quite a common issue a few years back. Apparently the exedy organic stage 1 just doesn't agree with lightened flywheels. I found various old threads all about it. For some people it just disappeared as the clutch ran in, but for others it didn't and they just gave up and changed the clutch again. But before I consider ripping it back out for another item I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt to run in and see what happens.

Has anyone else had the same issue recently? And how did you end up resolving it?

Part numbers were:

Fc04t and fd08h. Clutch kit FK01H601

Cheers

fawor 09 May 2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ste333 (Post 11424726)
Just had a brand new exedy pink box clutch installed into my 2003 5 speed wrx, alongside a lightened and skimmed standard flywheel... And sadly it has a horrible judder when taking up drive and when downshifting.

It was all put in by a reputable tuner so I'm not worried about any potential fitment issues, and I've done some searching and found this was quite a common issue a few years back. Apparently the exedy organic stage 1 just doesn't agree with lightened flywheels. I found various old threads all about it. For some people it just disappeared as the clutch ran in, but for others it didn't and they just gave up and changed the clutch again. But before I consider ripping it back out for another item I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt to run in and see what happens.

Has anyone else had the same issue recently? And how did you end up resolving it?

Part numbers were:

Fc04t and fd08h. Clutch kit FK01H601

Cheers

Sbould be ok after 300 miles and good after 1.5k,straight after change I couldn't even move my car from first gear.:lol1:

Ste333 09 May 2014 11:09 PM

That's comforting to know lol. Pulling off in 1st at the moment is horrific unless I use about 2-3k revs. Hopefully once it's bed in then I should be okay. I do about 300 miles a week so it won't take long. Are you on the exact same kit are you?

Mike_08 10 May 2014 12:43 AM

I'm upgrading mine soon... Should be fun.

fawor 10 May 2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ste333 (Post 11424855)
That's comforting to know lol. Pulling off in 1st at the moment is horrific unless I use about 2-3k revs. Hopefully once it's bed in then I should be okay. I do about 300 miles a week so it won't take long. Are you on the exact same kit are you?

similar,pink with skimmed standard flywheel , clutch smells a lot on launch but is strong enough for wrx ppp power:norty:

AS Performance 10 May 2014 09:17 AM

ideally you want the "H1" upgrade kit rather than the std version IMO.................

carry in stock

Aztec Performance Ltd 13 May 2014 12:28 PM

It's nothing to do with the flywheel, you have purchased the old version clutch with 6 springs which does judder.

We only sell the newer version to avoid this issue and have done so for years.

fawor 13 May 2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by AS Performance (Post 11424963)
ideally you want the "H1" upgrade kit rather than the std version IMO.................

carry in stock

As far as I know pink is not standard version:thumb:,even new version judder (less but still)but dont remember which one ive got.

AS Performance 14 May 2014 08:56 AM

never said anything was "standard"

maybe i wasn't clear there are 2x seperate versions of Exedy PINK upgraded organic clutch kits............an older "H" (still available) and a newer "H1" which is more refined.............

AS Performance 14 May 2014 08:56 AM

never said anything was "standard"

maybe i wasn't clear there are 2x seperate versions of Exedy PINK upgraded organic clutch kits............an older "H" (still available) and a newer "H1" which is more refined.............

JGlanzaV 14 May 2014 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11427375)
As far as I know pink is not standard version:thumb:,even new version judder (less but still)but dont remember which one ive got.

Id be inclined to listen to Alyn, he does sell and fit these units all day every day lol

Ste333 14 May 2014 11:21 AM

I did see the H1 version but I was able to get the older H version for a good price. You live and learn eh :)

I've covered around 350 miles with it now and I can say that it does appear to be improving daily. I barely get any judder on downshift now, just a tiny wobble, and when pulling off in 1st and reverse it is still there, but is definitely getting better. Hopefully after another 300-400 miles and some slightly harder usage it will become hardly noticeable at all.

The pedal feel is still 100x better than my old tired clutch so I can deal with it- even daily.