Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boost PSI on an STI?????

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 12:42 PM
STI05V
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i get some help please ?

I have a STI Version 5 with mods such as FMIC, Waterspray, full exhaust and manual boost controller and want to what psi it should be doing correctly???????

My boost level is set on 19psi max......but i can only achieve 14psi in first gear and 16psi in second gear, but in 3rd, 4th and 5th i can finally achieve maximum 19 psi boost.

is this normal ( ie . factory ecu limited )for the car to be doing this or is there some kind of leak under load????

advise appreciated....as i am a amatuer

cheers Joe
Old 29 May 2002, 01:01 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Joe,

this is completely normal. Boost is related to load, you will never reach maximum load in the lower gears.

I know of a few cars reaching target boost in all gears but their boost controllers are mappable to rpm and throttle position (Apexi AVCR)and it does take a lot of setting up and fine tuning.

I have (although it's not recommended) set my low boost to hit what I want in the higher gears and set my high boost above this and run the high boost only in the first two gears. It works but you have to remember to flick back when going for third. I gave this up as it's a complete pain in the @rse and when do you ever really need that much boost of the line

[Edited by Mo - 5/29/2002 1:06:26 PM]
Old 29 May 2002, 07:27 PM
Joules
Scooby Regular

Not meant to scare you BUT!!!

Before playing with the boost I would fit a knocl link to check for any major or trace detonation. I too have an STiV but fitted a GEMS ecu to fine tune the engine and now get around 300 BHP but with NO det at all.

Prior to the GEMS my knock link lit up like a Christmas tree.

Joules....