Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

snapped off Speedo sensor...soooo mad

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2014, 05:41 PM
evolvedgsr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snapped off Speedo sensor...soooo mad

Hi peoples as title, earlier today went to change my Speedo sensor on my 99 version5 type r and she snapped clean off nothing to grab on to?

Any ideas or has it happened to anyone else?? Not too keen on dropping box out.

Was thinking of getting it on the hoist, heating the area with our industrial plastic welder gun and pick it out??

Thanks in advance
Old 16 May 2014, 06:42 PM
evolvedgsr
Scooby Regular

Ok guys finally got it sorted. I dropped the exhaust, then using a sharp short flat blade split the top remaining bits off.

This then gave a top view of the remaining plastic in the thread, using a solid piece of stainless tube i sharpened the end softy chiseled it from the edge and piece by piece it came out...happy days...sort of.

I had a speed sensor 2 fault....and its still there???

Car: Subaru Type R Version 5 sti

Symptoms : Speedo started bouncing then periodically working, bouncing then showing incorrect speed.....then nothing.

Its not running limp mode but had a weird hesitation at 3,500/4,000 RPM, RPM still works, no mileage registering either. Also only making 9-10 PSI feels sluggish.

So i did fault code giving me speed sensor 2, now its replaced and still code???

Could it be the KMS to miles converter, mines a small chip wrapped in a heat shrink case?

Is it the cluster itself?

ANYONE?

Last edited by evolvedgsr; 16 May 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 22 May 2014, 11:17 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are describing a low voltage signal to the speedo head, hence the fluctuation. It might be the convertor failing Some early ones from a place in NZ were notoriously bad . We went over to Speedmate in about 2001 - 2002 and have never had a bad one. they are the best and if you buy the re-programmable one it can be corrected for larger diameter wheels and so on.

Try taking thje convertor out of the system, which will revert the car to Km's and see what happens. You'll likely be speed limited to 112 mph by doing that, which is 180 Km's. all JDM cars have that as a " feature".

The misfire at 3500 and low boost is limp mode because the car is detecting a fault and is protecting itself. If you go to Km's it ought to fix that and then you just need a new convertor. Or drive it around in Km's and stay below 112 mph.....

It could be the speedo head but usually not so, it'd be a rare failure if it is.

David APi

PS we sell Speedmate if you need one.
Old 22 May 2014, 03:37 PM
evolvedgsr
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the reply

Replacing the Speedo loom was my next step as the chip has been soldered in. How much am I looking at for the converter, is it a plug in or just solder in?
Would a UK version 5/6 loom be the same?
I do have a replacement group N cluster to check also.
Old 23 May 2014, 10:34 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evolvedgsr
Thank you for the reply

Replacing the Speedo loom was my next step as the chip has been soldered in. How much am I looking at for the converter, is it a plug in or just solder in?
Would a UK version 5/6 loom be the same?
I do have a replacement group N cluster to check also.
Ideally the Speedmate should be soldered in to be safe and continue to work properly. They come with a wiring guide which is [ so far ] idiot proof. Cost when i bought the last batch was £85.00 + VAT including the programming - but not fitting.

I do not know if the UK loom is the same as a JDM one - propbably it is it'll be safer to chop out the exisiting sender and rejoin the original wires. You might find that the UK loom creates a different problem and you go up a blind alley.

Careful on changing the whole speedo set up and there are many different ones as far as electronics are concerned. lt may well fit and work, but we had a customer who did a similar thing and as soon as he connected it the wipers started working and only stopped when he disconnected it.....

David