Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Sponsorship

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2010, 08:23 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponsorship

Hello,

I am currently in the middle of building a track/race car that will be ready to compete next season. The car has had circa of £40k spent on it during the build process and obviously has a impressive specification, which I can send if required. I estimate given the specification it will be capable of running upwards of 650bhp with torque firgures capable of around the 600 ft/lb mark. Given this and the fact the shell is fully stripped out and has fibre glass or carbon body panels all round, it should make for a very quick and competitive car. The plan is to run in a few different series that will be choosen from, Time Attack, AAA Saloons, LMA Eurosaloons, Scooby Shootout & Ten of the Best.

Many of these series are screened on the sky sports/euro sports/motors tv channels, attract viewing audencies on the day in their thousands and are also photographed and published in numerous motorsport and car enthusiast magazines. Obviously a great opportunity for marketing and advertising.

The costs of running such a car in these series are obviously substantial and I am therefore looking for potential sponsors. There is the potential for the car to be painted in a specific colour and/or have advertising decals placed upon it.

If this is something you think you might be of interest and benefit to you and your company please let me know and I'm sure we will be able to talk further about the possibilities of working together.

Yours sincerley

Matthew Rhode
Old 18 October 2010, 04:45 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

do you have any previous experience or track history as to how competitive you are??

i'm sure this would help make up peoples minds far more than vehicle spec (impressive as it is)
Old 18 October 2010, 08:58 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

In all honesty I am a complete novice. However, I haven't put in the amount of time and money I have to follow other people around a circuit admiring their rear bumpers.

The cars spec and build is good enough to be pretty competetive in club pro class and also produce times up there with the top tier of regular 1/4 mile runners. That said, as a novice I will obviously be starting off in club class.

I will be undertaking a vast amount of testing before next season starts and also plan on taking some driver tuition from someone currently running in BTCC to give myself every opportunity to be as prepared and competetive as possible.

Being a novice isn't a negative in my eyes. Its like a blank canvas. Anything is possible, and as I have said, I dont intend or turning up to make up the numbers and enjoy a nice sedate drive around a variety of tracks, I plan on being as competetive as possible.

Lewis Hamilton didn't have any F1 experience when unleashed on his first season and he came 2nd in the most competetive field of all. Obviously I'm not daft enough to compare myself with Lewis, but you get the sentiment.

Personally I think its a great opportunity to get some extra advertising and exsposure at various events around the country and viewed on TV for very little risk. The more sponsorship and help I can get, the easier it will be to become and remain competetive.

Thanks
Old 18 October 2010, 09:28 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by need4speeduk
In all honesty I am a complete novice.

The cars spec and build is good enough to be pretty competetive in club pro class and also produce times up there with the top tier of regular 1/4 mile runners.
8/9/low 10 second car? 10,11,12 or more driver? Admittedly an 8 second car is extreme, but, is top tier as you put it.

1/4 mile drag racing looks easy, anyone can mash the loud pedal etc..

It's not that easy though, stage, launch, smooth FAST gear changes, it takes a LOT of practice, much more than I have.

Anyone can build a big power, high spec car if they have the money to do so. IMO, It's wasted if they don't have the talent(Time Attack etc) or practice(1/4 mile) Traffic light GP's don't count.

Would you not be better off for next season maybe entering a couple of rounds of TA(or similar) and getting some 1/4 mile experience under your belt?

Not exactly what you want to be doing with your car, but, it would give you an idea as to where you are regarding pace and times.
Old 18 October 2010, 10:05 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Micky, from what I have seen, with the exception of Steve and Andy, most other subaru's are running high 9's low 10's 1/4 mile times. I fully expect to be there or there abouts. Unrealistic? Maybe, maybe not.

As for TA, I dont personally see the point in doing a round or two. I will know where I am and how competetive I may or may not be during testing and comparing times etc.

As stated, I'm not doing this for a sedate daily drive around nice green countryside. The aim is to be competetive. Maybe that will be in the first year, maybe not, but thats the aim. I dont see the point of investing the time/money in building such a car unless you intend on using it to its potential.

With all due respect, your car is running 330/289? I'm aiming for a totally different league. As for traffic light GP's; I work in the medical field and therefore see the results of little boy racers trying to impress school girls. You're barking up the wrong tree.

The aim is to COMPETE. To me, competing means winning, or at least giving my best to try to achieve that aim. Thats just me and who I am. If I do something I want to do it to the best of my ability and be the best at whatever it is I can be.

Trust me, if I find I am not competetive and just admiring everyones rear bumpers, I wont waste mine or anyone else's time or money.

Last edited by need4speeduk; 18 October 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 19 October 2010, 12:36 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mickywrx
1/4 mile drag racing looks easy, anyone can mash the loud pedal etc..

It's not that easy though, stage, launch, smooth FAST gear changes, it takes a LOT of practice, much more than I have.

Anyone can build a big power, high spec car if they have the money to do so. IMO, It's wasted if they don't have the talent(Time Attack etc) or practice(1/4 mile) Traffic light GP's don't count.
I must just be lucky then. I won this years scooby shoot out modified class with my first ever go at drag racing and it was the first go in a car I've built myself on my drive way.

A lucky result some said because of the rain. So I went and backed it up with a 10.90 @ 129 on my second ever event the week after.

I would imagine though that track stuff is a whole different ball game. I'll find out next year
Old 19 October 2010, 08:31 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Matthew,

Potential sponsors will want to have some idea of what they're getting, and I'm afraid that offering just a good car spec', and some self confidence doesn't say very much, without something to back it up.

So, can I suggest that you go off and do some testing at some of the known tracks, compare your times to those of Club, or Club Pro, and use those to entice some sponsors.

That said, if you could show a track record similar to Lewis Hamilton, that gave him the F1 drive, I suspect sponsors would be fighting over you !

Mark.
Old 19 October 2010, 11:45 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

There will be so much more to running a car competitively in TA than just building a car with a decent spec. If don't have the resources to repair the car after a big off or say engine failure this will put sponsors off as they may only potentially see the car on track the once.

You may attract more attention if you put some decent track times in, and offer sponsors a per event or per finishing position payment structure.

You will secure some sponsorship either way, but in order to get the most out of it some of the suggestions above will help.
Old 19 October 2010, 12:14 PM
dilbob
Scooby Regular

matthew from my own personal experience its best to get the car built and out there, proving its worth then approach the sponsors.

i know its hard and expensive to build a car from scratch and sponsorship does help loads but i found it gets easier when you show them your already out there competing rather than a maybe and anything could happen.

also if you've spent such a large amount get a project thread up on the major sites will get you more exposure to show your own knowledge, time and personal investment.

all i can say mate is nobody can knock your enthuasism and if i was you id get the car built finished down the pod when you can get some proven 1/4 times then down any tracks and again show times your getting etc then approach looking for sponsors has i believe you'd be in a far better position and maybe can get more than what you could now?

anyways good luck with it car sounds awesome!!!
Old 19 October 2010, 02:08 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Matthew,
From personal experience past and present, sponsors expect more than just event specific results / exposure. I am referring to sponsors that are making investments for return.

I would have a think about what "extra" benefits you can provide a potential sponsor, over and above direct event exposure.

Sponsorship is not a word associated to a person getting cash (for all intent and purpose) just for turning up at an event (last time I looked that was referred to as wages lol). Companies expect a lot more nowadays for any investment they make imo.

It takes a lot of time and effort to get sponsorship and sustain it. I know only too well how much effort is required and contrary to popular belief it takes a lot of effort.... and so it should when you receive cash or products from a company / individual.

If I were you I would start a project thread on ScoobyNet or create your own website as a reference point for potential sponsors.

Contact companies direct with a personalised email, but not too lengthy and boring. Get the point across in an enticing way.

Expect plenty of rejections..... that is life.

Good look mate!
Old 19 October 2010, 06:59 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Might be helpful if some of the tuning companies etc could post up just a brief idea on what type of things you would be looking for/wanting in order to offer sponsorship. Above posts noted. You may do it via PM if you would prefer to keep it private.

Many thanks

Matt