Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

API - What a difference a garage makes!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2006, 09:23 PM
STI_V2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up API - What a difference a garage makes!!

For the last six months my car was suffering from a weird boost problem. The car is an STi V2 that normally operates on 1 bar of boost, but for the last six months the boost would drop down to 0.5 bar and stay there for a time that varied from 10 minutes up to 1 hour. I had no errors from the ECU and therefore it was not easy to resolve (apart from the guys at API ).

The car was under warranty by TSL and therefore I took it there so that they can have a look. After a total of 5 visits and a lot of money spend on petrol as I live 200 miles away (return journey) I decided to give up to this incompetence and try my luck somewhere else.

After spending some time on scoobynet, API seemed to be the place to trust. There were a lot of reviews from satisfied customers both in UK and abroad so I booked an appointment.

Last Saturday after getting lost for about 15 minutes, I arrived at API and although it was my first visit (and already late) my car was inside the garage in about 5 minutes.

To make the long story short…….It took API only 1 hour to provide a solution to the problem. I really did find the engineer very knowledgeable and he did explain me everything he did on the car.

Anyway, my point is that I will be using API from now one because businesses with competent people and professionalism must be rewarded and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Thank you very much David and Nathan for the excellent work you did on the car. You seriously did make my headaches disappear.

Stathis
Old 30 January 2006, 12:43 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stathis, Thanks for the glowing recommendation. Just a bit of thought and application and we were able to come up with the answer.

Nathan is VERY good at that sort of stuff.

I hoped that we would get some feedback to prove we were on the right track. Thanks for taking the time to post and let us know that it worked.

Good luck, see you again l guess.

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
Old 30 January 2006, 09:14 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

I love a happy ending
Old 31 January 2006, 12:05 PM
woolz
Scooby Regular

where abouts are they based?
Old 31 January 2006, 12:12 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

API Impreza
3 & 4 Churchlands Farm Ind. Est.
Bascote Road
Harbury
Warwickshire
CV33 9PL England

Phone 44 [0] 1926 614333
Fax 44 [0] 1926 614907
Old 01 February 2006, 09:25 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

so what was wrong with it?
Old 01 February 2006, 11:17 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

boost control solenoid? (ie sticking and not allowing any bleed off and hence circa 'actuator pressure')??
Old 02 February 2006, 12:06 PM
STI_V2
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

The problem with the car seemed to be the boost solenoid valve. It was actually diagnosted with a sticky solenoid in one of my previous visits at TSL and it was replaced.
Unfortunately the new one fitted was a second hand one (although I would expect a new one since the car was under warranty) that gave exactly the same problems.

On the other hand there is a small chance that the ECU signal was not transmitted properly. Very hard to diagnose this type of fault as it could easily be some wiring problem.

API sorted out the problem by fitting a dawes manual boost controller and thus bypassing the boost solenoid.

I hope that helps.
Old 03 February 2006, 06:45 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Not exactly fixed the original problem, just got around it another way! Your ECU is no longer in control of your boost level. Not exactly ideal. Though I'm sure David will explain in more detail exactly what they've fixed and why.

Ian

Last edited by IanK Spec C; 03 February 2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03 February 2006, 07:25 PM
STI_V2
Scooby Regular

You are absolutely right mate...they did get round it another way. I am aware that it is not the ideal solution but this is also the case with everyone else who runs a boost controller (mechanical or electronic).

I do not think there is currently a boost controller in the market that will provide some short of knocking monitoring to adjust the boost accordingly (please correct me if I am wrong) and therefore the dawes device for a standard engine like mine seemed to be a quick and reliable solution.

The guys at API did tell me that they will try to identify the source of the problem by eliminating all possible causes.They run some tests and the problem seemed to be the solenoid. They could have told me that I need a need solenoid and charge me for it but as the solenoid is controlled by the ECU that means that there are two potential source that might caused the boost to drop.

In the future I might actually investigate the matter further by changing the solenoid and see what the result is.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
Old 03 February 2006, 07:58 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

I agree entirely, A bleed valve is a VERY blunt instrument. However, any mapper will [ reluctantly ] tell you they have their uses in certain circumstances and controlling boost spikes is their best feature.

And, given a solution that had previously taken a well known company 4 or 5 goes not to be able to offer any kind of advice, we are justifiably proud of getting the car sorted quickly and cheaply.

A new 3 port boost solenoid that hopefully would cure it, is about £160.00, a bleed valve is just over £30.00 or so. No brainer, that one.

When we see the car again and have a bit of time we'll certainly try a solenoid and if need arises or demands we'll fit it, allow a credit against the bleed valve. [ They don't wear out, so no harm there ] and get the car running properly as Subaru intended.

Right now it works fine and we have a satisfied customer. That's what we're here for.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com