Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Canterbury Barratts Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2005, 03:00 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canterbury Barratts Subaru

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about them?

Particularly regarding servicing of Euro imports

(not that i really have much choice as besides a much smaller dealer over past maidstone there's no where for miles)
Old 29 September 2005, 03:46 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Donnie,

I was up at Barratts service just the other day trying to get info and instructions on fitting a towbar to my MY03 WRX (no heckling please!) and was worried a little when I found it was mainly a Citroen/MG/Rover place, with Subaru tagged on the side I was hoping for something a touch more dedicated to Subaru, though there were a few Foresters dotted around the car park.

I had a quote for "around £500" for my 30k service with them. I then wandered over to Barrets Motorsport (barely across the road) to have a chat and a nose around. They seem to know Subarus inside out and seemed a good bunch to talk to. They quoted me just over £500 for the same service, using fully synthetic Castrol oil and upgraded plugs. I have my car booked in with them on the 5th October. Whilst I was there, they had umpteen Classic Scoobs in their compound and were working on a race spec mini cooper, yet still took the time out to speak to me and answer lots of daft questions about towbars and servicing..!!

They also service the car to manufacturers spec, so there shouldn't be any warranty issues.

Maybe a thought for you..?
Old 29 September 2005, 04:03 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Donnie,

I was up at Barratts service just the other day trying to get info and instructions on fitting a towbar to my MY03 WRX (no heckling please!) and was worried a little when I found it was mainly a Citroen/MG/Rover place, with Subaru tagged on the side I was hoping for something a touch more dedicated to Subaru, though there were a few Foresters dotted around the car park.

I had a quote for "around £500" for my 30k service with them. I then wandered over to Barrets Motorsport (barely across the road) to have a chat and a nose around. They seem to know Subarus inside out and seemed a good bunch to talk to. They quoted me just over £500 for the same service, using fully synthetic Castrol oil and upgraded plugs. I have my car booked in with them on the 5th October. Whilst I was there, they had umpteen Classic Scoobs in their compound and were working on a race spec mini cooper, yet still took the time out to speak to me and answer lots of daft questions about towbars and servicing..!!

They also service the car to manufacturers spec, so there shouldn't be any warranty issues.

Maybe a thought for you..?
cheers, yeah they do seem to know there stuff, i'm just a bit worried cause ive been in there a few times test driving etc and asking about prices, its usually the same guy too.

now i'm gonna turn up with my Maltese 55...

i would have like to go for a UK car, but i wanted a crystal grey wagon-> no demos around like that, and couldn't quite stretch to the £20k or so for a new one.
Old 29 September 2005, 04:16 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

The staff I have encountered at Barretts parts are total and utter idiots. Wasted days of my time ordering the wrong parts, even though I gave them part numbers. Barretts Motorsport are very knowlegeable though.

I'd stick to Walldonway in Maidstone personally.
Old 29 September 2005, 04:33 PM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

I thought Barrett Subaru had packed up now?

I know a few people who have had big work done by 'Barrett Motorsport' and they have been really happy with what's been done.

Not sure but I think they are two separate entities now.

Jim
Old 29 September 2005, 06:27 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
The staff I have encountered at Barretts parts are total and utter idiots. Wasted days of my time ordering the wrong parts, even though I gave them part numbers. Barretts Motorsport are very knowlegeable though.

I'd stick to Walldonway in Maidstone personally.
another vote for walldonway

not the cheapest, but i've had no major probs with them over the 4 odd years of going there. let me supply my own oil,plugs,filters etc for services and haven't gone out of their way to find 'extras' to bump the bill back up

Last edited by hoskib; 29 September 2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 29 September 2005, 07:51 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Donnie,

Bear in mind that Barratts Subaru **servicing/garage type place** is a way down the road away from the actual dealers where you test drove and enquired about prices....

I was very happy to book in with Barratts **motorsport** as they were similar in price, but on the ball with Scoobs.
Old 29 September 2005, 08:15 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Done go there, just as you drive in there is a building on the left, and that is the subaru rally division, ask for Phil, nothing them guys do not know....

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
Anyone got anything good or bad to say about them?

Particularly regarding servicing of Euro imports

(not that i really have much choice as besides a much smaller dealer over past maidstone there's no where for miles)
Old 29 September 2005, 08:53 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Big Thumbs Up

Phil and Karl, know their stuff when it comes to "Ye olde scooby", you don't win the British Rally Championship by accident!
I trust them totally with the love of my life, and I don't meen the wife.
Old 30 September 2005, 08:28 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Thumbs up Totally recommended by me

Totally agree with the above.........make sure you go to the motorsport section........and speak to Phil the manager or Karl the very knowledgeable mechanic, they put my 2.5 engine together, and regularly service my car, no job is too big or too small.

I was there when that mini was dropped off by the multi millionare owner, so if he goes there with his mini rather than anywhere else..what does that tell you.

Kev
Old 01 October 2005, 08:06 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is almost a 'Chinese wall' btween the Dealer itself and the Motorsport arms.

The dealer used to Shun Imports, but the Motorsport Arm will service anything and DO know their stuff - and quality control.

You should almost view them as separate organisations.
Old 07 October 2005, 11:13 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Well, Barratts **MOTORSPORT** have done the 30k service on my MY03 blobeye WRX earlier this week and the car feels sooo much smoother. Seems to be using less fuel now too, which is a bonus..!!
Even got given a litre of Castrol RS to top up when and if it needs it.

Phil had a good chat with me regarding my future options with mods, ran through all the servicing costs up to about 80k explaining what the differences are (ie cambelt etc) and also ran through all my brake options after letting me know there's about 2000 miles of normal driving left in mine.

They got the car in and done in good time, it was all clean and vacuumed inside, the service book was stamped up, a printout was given to me detailing all parts and work carried out and I left there a very happy chappy.

I know where I'm going at 40k miles....

Happy Nige.
:thumbs up: from me.
Old 08 October 2005, 11:20 AM
RB5108
Scooby Regular

Barretts motorsport for me - I wouldn't go any where else.....and it's a 2 hour round trip at 70mph

They have just completed a full rebuild for me using a ej22t block and lots of other goodies, they even have a mapper at the end of a phone that can map gems, link and pfc

Bryan

Oh by the way Phil enjoys a bottle of single malt and Karl loves red wine by the box.......
Old 26 January 2012, 09:48 AM
colbyjack
Scooby Newbie

Default Do not use

All I can say about Canterbury Subaru is they are useless I will never put my car in to them again, they seem to have no experience in performance cars, I took my STI in under warranty and they had it 6 weeks and I then had to pay over £500 to get my car back, be vary wary!!!!
Would never recommend Canterbury Subaru at all