Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Euro Import 05 STi (non-DCCD)

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 11:34 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Import 05 STi (non-DCCD)

Has anyone bought, and is currently running one of these cars? How is it to own, any dealer/service problems, is insurance complicated, has PPP (or any other mod) been fitted, was it a problem?

regards
Old 27 June 2005, 12:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not worth IMHO buying an MY05 car without the A-DCCD as this is what gives the car the edge, without it you will be missing out on so much.... (plus your resale value will be zero).
PPP's are now included upto the end of july on UK cars (FOC) but for a euro import, adding one will need to be done in the country of origin to retain the warranty.

Tony
Old 27 June 2005, 04:14 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Tony. How would you describe the major difference, dynamically, between the two.

The reason I ask, I test drove an STi at the weekend (200 miles) and liked many of the aspects about it; comfort, brakes, styling, performance. However, I felt the 6sp 'box was too close ratio and short in 6th for UK roads. I didn't have chance to explore the changes the DCCD provides, and can't honestly say that the level of driving I do would warrent the adjustments. In short I'm trying to justify to myself spending 25K on a new UK STi and not being entirely happy with it, when I could have had 'essentially' the same car from Europe for 20K. I must admit I found my MY98 turbo a difficult car to get the best from (performance and economy) at first, but it's easy now I'm used to it; will it be the same learning curve with the STi, or will these things always bother me?
Old 27 June 2005, 04:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how you found it short in 6th gear for uk roads, i drive a JDM STi, and the 5th and 6th gears are shorter than a uk STi, and i have no problems on the road with it, if anything it feels better with the JDM gearing
The first 3 gears are quite manic, but with the torque and avcs, you can be a bit lazier with the gears, especially with the PPP, and the resale value of a uk car with the PPP is going to be considerably better than a euro import without the PPP or the A-DCCD

Tony
Old 28 June 2005, 02:09 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

I think it's familiarity with my MY98, I just feel that with that much torque and power 6th could have been a bit longer to bring the RPM down at higher speeds; as you say, it's a bit manic 1-3.
However, the main point of my question was to directly compare the in-corner characteristics of the car; have you driven the non-DCCD car? Also, would I really use anything other than 'auto mode' if I didn't take the car on track etc. I'm sure it's an improvement over the '98 model anyway, so will it be a case of 'not missing what you haven't got'?
I've had my turbo from new (March '98), and can see myself keeping the next one for as long again. I think depreciation will take care of any price difference less a few hundred pounds.
I'm going to investigate the PPP situation with IM, and if necessary order it from the country of origin; that'll make a nice weekend drive!
Don't take this as a put down Tony, your information has been valuable; I've simply not made up my mind. I'll probably try the WRX PPP to see if that suits me better